Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, I am new to the fuel-injected bike scene and have a question. Why, if my bike is fuel injected, does it need the choke at all and why does it stall when its cold out when the choke is in? If its injected shouldn't it just stay running like a car does? #noob

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
The "choke" knob is a manual IACV (Idle air control valve). In more sophisticated systems this is a motorised device that controls a variable air bleed that bypasses the throttle butterflies. The computer regulates this valve to maintain idle automatically under varying circumstances such as warming up, turning electrical loads on or off, etc.

On the Bonnies it's simply a fast idle control. All it does is to let a little air past the butterflies to raise the idle for warm-up and aid starting by letting a small amount of extra air in.

The Bonnie is not unique in this, it's found on lots of other bikes like some Victorys, older VFR800, Honda SP2, Suzuki GSX-R, Aprilia RSV-r, etc, etc, also the highly acclaimed Moto Guzzi V7 has this arrangement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, so it is a manual action vs. having a computer regulate it like in a car. Bottom line, its supposed stall if the "choke" isn't pulled out when cold.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
its supposed stall if the "choke" isn't pulled out when cold.
It might need a short while running at a fast idle until it can maintain a normal idle. It'll work better if the correct idle revs are adjusted with a warm engine, i.e. 950-1050 rpm, then it'll just need a few seconds before the knob can be pushed in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I found on my 2014 when it was stock, I would maybe need to put the knob at half choke, or in the first position when first starting the bike in colder weather, but I could bump it right back in when the bike started. Now that I have done the ais delete and put new free flowing monarch mufflers on, I find that I have to pull it out to the first position and leave it on for a good 30 seconds or more before I can bump it in and take off. I have had it remapped as well at the dealer. Interesting to say the least and for the life of me I cant figure out why I need to do that now after the changes but no big deal, I just have to cross my fingers and hope its not waking up my neighbors at 5:30 in the morning when I ride to work, but if it is I dont care either way lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts