Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Fuel in the air box..Daytona 900 M reg 1994

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  tealetm 
G
#1 ·
Hello to all,
first post and pleased I have found some fellow enthusiasts.
I have a few drops of fuel on the edge of the air box , presume they have come through it.
Any ideas for a novice mechanic..
1994 M reg Daytona 900 racing green
(twin scorpions,sounds the dogs dangly bits).

Cheers

(anyone go to High Beech ?)

#2 ·
I totalled mine shortly after purchase so I have little specific information about this bike. In general, I would say it sounds like one or several overflowing carbs - unless you are sure it's not oil? Another possibility is blowback, which could be caused by non-stock exhaust system and/or leaking inlet valves.

Over to the experts...

#3 ·
Hi Scorpio,

Faffi, I'm no expert- but I play one on TV. Scorpio, you say it is fuel on the outside of the airbox? Please do not take this wrong, but have you smelled it (taken some away on a rag an sniffed?)? If it is indeed petrol, it is likely leaking from the fuel selector or a fuel line from the fuel selector (petcock). If is a clear oil, it is probably from the joint of the airbox halves and this is natural with a stock air filter.

As near as I can tell, when you run with the throttle open the air goes through the intake track and through the filter to the carbs. Now when you close the throttle, the air is still in motion upstream of the carbs. So the air stacks up and basically crams the airbox full- but only momentarily. This high pressure in the airbox forces the oil on the filter element out through the seams in the box. It is more noticeable with a new air filter.

These engines appear quite robust and I would be very surprised if it were a leaking intake valve or some other engine malady.

BTW, what do you mean by "M reg"?

Is BRG the stock color? I think that the only U.S. color for the 94 Daytona was yellow or black.

Regards,
Zip

#4 ·
M registration mark as in M876NGT. This is part of our incredibly and unneccesarily complicated vehicle license plate system in the UK.
A plate where the first letter is a single letter and, in this case, is the letter M, means a vehicle first registered between Aug 1st 1995 and July 31st 1996.
This could develop into a very long and boring post, so I'll leave it there.

Cheers, Big Mick. :-D

G
#5 ·
I beg to differ Big Mick..you are 1 yr out its from 1994-1995..but hey who's checkin ???

And the fuel drips seem to be coming from inside the air box ?
I'm no mechanic and a real novice with bikes so any 'indepth' help greatly appreciated.

Also not stock colour re painted by previous owner,I do like it though and the straight through Scopion pipes make it sound awsome...

[ This message was edited by: scorpio on 2006-12-01 11:21 ]

#6 ·
scorpio,
I can't think of a single scenario where fuel would come out of the carbs and into the airbox.

Is there fuel on the underside of the gas tank?

When you run the engine or when not running, are any of the carburetors bottoms wet with fuel (I know it's a very personal question- wet bottoms and all...)?

Finally, are you sure it's petrol you see? It would help with diagnosis.

Zip

G
#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I am going to check in the morning and make sure it is fuel and that it is in/near the air box..Stand by for updates.

A seperate question,I have been offered a 2006 Kawasaki ER6N in silver with a red frame very nice looking 650cc to use as an everyday bike and to keep the Daytona as well (if I can hide it from the misses)...
He is willing to let me take over the payments as he has only had it since May this year and there are 3yrs in total on the finance.Problem is I would want to change the log book and insure it in my name,anyone what the pitfalls are with the finance being in someone elses name?
Is it going to cause more trouble than its worth but I am using the Trumpet as an everyday bike which at her age she shouldn't be.I also cant afford to buy a bike for cash and this seems ideal..Cheers

G
#9 ·
I use my '96 as a daily rider, & the ER6N is ugly. :-D (I do have a soft spot for Kawi twins, though. I really wish they had made the ER6N truly naked instead of giving it that hideous fairinng.)

Cheers,
-Kit

#10 ·
Fuel in the airbox, will be float level, and yes they are a pig to get sorted. I found the easiest way was to pull the carbs off the bike, get a new set of seals and clean and rebuild. If a seal has gone, you will find the bike starts playing up at low throttle settings and stalling at tickover but once opened up will go like the very devil AND it will only get worse. Good luck!!

#12 ·
on my daytona, the airbox fuel drip is a combination of leaky petcock (scheduled for replacement) dripping along the tank underside combined with a bad seat/float on at least #1 carb (also scheduled). Speaking of floats, I just picked up a new set for $!%150 DOLLARS$$!! at my local dealer - seems they are a complex affair with float, needle, seat, O-rings and more all combined into a high quality modern plastic affair resembling a space age toilet that unfortunately eventually leaks and costs $50 per carb....sigh, the price of progress

#13 ·
Try not to borrow money (which usually costs you considerably) to buy something that will, without doubt, go down in value and fall apart. You'll then be paying twice. Once for the interest to borrow the money- and again, when the thing you buy loses you heaps of money as well- because it isn't going UP in value.

I have used a '95 Sprint as a daily rider since 1999 and after being a Ducati owner (bevel) for years, have kept pretty well every receipt for the Sprint since I bought it out of interest.

I plan on wall-papering the inside of my mailbox one day if I get bored in my retirement.

I'm in Australia, and the longest the bike was off the road was when the infamous sprag clutch/starter packed it in at 100,000km. That took a week to get it back on the road.

Surely parts over there in the UK are cheaper, easier and faster to procure?

My bike has cost me $8.80 (Australian dollars) per day to own, service, insure and keep in tyres, chains and sprockets- and I cover about 320km per week commuting. (Fuel and tolls are additional) since 1999.

My gratuitous advice would be to work out what the payments on the 650 will be and put that money into a low fee managed fund of some sort. Keep the money for when you need to spend up big for some future catastrophic failure.

You haven't said how many K's (miles) are on your Daytona..so catastrophic engime or gearbox failure could be years away.

Mine has over 126,000km on it- and it still pulls like a Mallee bull with great compression and minimal oil use. I know plenty of guys with even higher mileage than this who still are not thinking about a trade. (Cheapbastards!)

But there you go...

Why be a slave to fashion when you have a perfectly functional and capable all-rounder?

Love the one your're with!

Do do do do... do do de dooo.

As an interesting aside, I once heard a rich bloke (and I worked as a gardener once to a few) say "You know, it wouldn't be such a stupid idea to make your first car a Rolls Royce, even if you can't really afford it, and keep the car for your entire lifetime".

Naturally, I thought he was barking mad. But now I am beginning to understand what he meant. Although until Rolls Royce make a Ute (pickup for you Americans), I can't see myself owning one.

Certainly, my experience with John Bloor's Triumph 're-birthing' experiment has been a very good one.

Triumph will really go ahead in leaps and bounds when they learn about 'customer sovereignty'.

Why on God's earth can't I buy a Sprint (from an authorised Triumph dealer) with a half-fairing with a bare metal tank and guards, the suspension I want and the custom seat I want? I know what colour I want- and frankly, most Triumph colours don't 'float my boat'. They look ***** in the harsh, bright Aussie sunlight.

Triumph should do a grubby little deal with a few more customisers/spray shops, who are authorised to undertake pre-delivery work for customers who don't like the colours and suspension on some of these machines.

Apart from that, keep up the good work over there in making a ***** fine, hassle free motorcycle.

#14 ·
:gooff: ">
Queen Izzy developed the dreaded fuel in the airbox today. Crank up, needed no choke, ran crappy below 4k, but would clear out above that. Once I got to work, it dribbled out a couple of tablespoons of gas on the side stand from the seam in the airbox. Now I get to figure out which carb has the bad float valve. Guessing pulling the plugs will tell me, but I may just go ahead and replace all three as pulling the carbs is such a treat. :brk:

#15 ·
Here is another way to get fuel in your airbox.
I store my bike in the garage during the usually cold winters here in Minnesota. When I put my 96 sprint away, I stuff rags in the intake air tubes under the seat to keep out rodents and moths and such.
Every so often on a warmish day I fire up the bike to get the fluids moving. Once I forgot to pull the rags out of the air intake tubes. Needless to say the bike ran rough, I thought it was cold and kept reving it up. Gas then began to drip out of the airbox.
Never had the problem again, it did not cause a chronic problem...
In the words of Homer Doh! :???:
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.