Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any help to find a fix.
My gauge will always read correctly when the bike is started.
While riding, all bars disappear and the low fuel warning light comes on.
It will remain that way ( no bars and low fuel warning light on) until the bike is turned off then back on again.
I have looked at the under tank connector and even closed the gap up on the 2 female connectors to male spade.
I did not find any problems with crimps or anything.
The continuity of the ground wire and signal wire seem good.
No amount of wiggling will show bad continuity.
I have added an extra ground wire from under tank connector to motor.
I also added a wire connected to signal wire under the tank to monitor signal before and after the problem.
With @ ¾ of a tank I get 1v on signal line and it stays solid even when gauge has no bars and low fuel light is on.
The 1v remains on even after key is turned of until I hear the stepper motors finish doing their thing.
It seems really odd that it will always recover for a short time by turning the bike off then back on again.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
852 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DaveM - I purchased the bike new in October of 07. The battery goes on a charger during our long Rochester winters. The bike turns over briskly and fires up immediately even on 30deg mornings.
So I think that its fine. I hope.....

triumph_955_st - Thanks for the link to the older thread. I did not find that one when I searched.
No one in those posts or any other that I could find mentioned that once the display bars go away and the low fuel light comes on - it stays that way until the power is cycled (bike turned off then back on).

Anyone out there with a newer style Sprint willing to start their bike, unplug the sending unit connector under the tank, reconnect it and observe the behavior of the cpu/fuel gauge bar graph/low fuel warning light?

I wish I had a good relationship with my Triumph dealer but I do not.
The bike, as delivered, had many issues that were 100% avoidable by their office and service personnel. Its a shame.

·
Registered
852 Posts
triumph_955_st - Thanks for the link to the older thread. I did not find that one when I searched.
No one in those posts or any other that I could find mentioned that once the display bars go away and the low fuel light comes on - it stays that way until the power is cycled (bike turned off then back on).

Anyone out there with a newer style Sprint willing to start their bike, unplug the sending unit connector under the tank, reconnect it and observe the behavior of the cpu/fuel gauge bar graph/low fuel warning light?
Your 07 uses the exact same sending unit as mine. If you unplug it, the gauge will drop to empty and turn on the low fuel light. The engine management light will also come on. Once you plug it back in, the fuel gauge will rise but the engine light will stay on for 3 heat and cool cycles before it shuts off. Both times that my sending unit went bad it never triggered the engine light. I think the sending unit should read about 93 ohms empty 13 ohms full... I think that is what the spec was. Also when I wrote that it would work intermittently, I meant that it would not work again until I shut the bike off and then restarted.
Rick

·
Registered
450 Posts
My sending unit was replaced under warranty. It had sent a slew of DTCs to the ECM. I was not aware of this as it seemed to work okay and this particular DTC (P0460) will not cause the MIL to light up. The DTCs were found when the mechanic started on some major repairs to my engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts