Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ST that has never had the fuel fitting recall done. I was wondering if the recall is just for the plastic fittings in the side of the tank, or does it cover the quick-disconnect fittin gs as well?

--John

·
Registered
466 Posts
The dealer will only replace the hose fittings, not the tank fittings.

You might want to consider foregoing the dealer, and buying a full set of male and female fittings. This way you will never have to worry about the plastic cracking, fuel leaking and you bike bursting into flames.

Look Here:
http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/sprint_st.htm

and do a site search here, there are probably a thousand threads on the subject.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Oh don't be so dramatic. Though we've had a very few leakers we haven't had anyone burst into flames.

To the OP it depends on your dealer. Mine put the full monty on mine, both ends metal.

Don

The dealer will only replace the hose fittings, not the tank fittings.

You might want to consider foregoing the dealer, and buying a full set of male and female fittings. This way you will never have to worry about the plastic cracking, fuel leaking and you bike bursting into flames.

Look Here:
http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/sprint_st.htm

and do a site search here, there are probably a thousand threads on the subject.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you register to join triumph rat at the Triumph website one of the things you can do is look up your bike by VIN and see if there are any outstanding recalls on it. Gratzie on the purchase, I LOVE my 2001 st

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Welcome govenor

Hi and welcome to the sprint forum govenor:)

Don and I ask all noobs to please read all the forum stickies they are relevant and helpful especially the one for new members.

It is good advice to check the Vin.

Don is right about what he says, we have had no bikes or riders on this forum catch fire and only a few who did not do their recall have an issue.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
878 Posts
Oh don't be so dramatic. Though we've had a very few leakers we haven't had anyone burst into flames.

To the OP it depends on your dealer. Mine put the full monty on mine, both ends metal.
Then he went beyond the recall. The Triumph replacement parts are only the male/hose side.

It is a nice piece of mind to have both sides done, though. I did it after 60k+ miles on my '02 without a weap.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
That's what happens when you have a dealer the puts honesty and his customer's well being above making a buck. He has integrity which is a sadly lacking commodity today. That's why I always take my business to him.

Don

Then he went beyond the recall. The Triumph replacement parts are only the male/hose side.

It is a nice piece of mind to have both sides done, though. I did it after 60k+ miles on my '02 without a weap.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Fuel Fittings / Fuel Pressure Regulator

A recap of some fuel fitting information, and a description of my problem. I trust OnD and one of the Dave's will review this and comment/correct as necessay...

I recently suffered a fuel fitting casualty to my ’03 ST. First indication of a problem was the smell of raw fuel, and I wasn't behind a beater automobile. Examination showed the pressure side ‘female dry break fitting’ (Part # 7 on Bikebandit) had fractured where the threaded portion and the body of the fitting met.

I did not replace the fitting with a metal one, as I don’t have one yet; and a buddy had set me up with a replacement OEM plastic one. However, when I installed it, I scraped most of the pink thread compound off, and used blue gasket compound. When I had it installed, I injected a good amount of silicone RTV around and under the base to provide some ‘bedding’ to prevent torqueing. The OEM fitting is a Colder part. A tip: When removing or installing the fitting, carefully push in the lock collar retaining pin. Carefully ease the lock collar off. The retaining pin has a stout little spring under it. Carefully pull the lock collar spring out of the fitting body. Carefully. (You get my drift?) Use a ¾” socket on the fitting. If the nylon fitting has any age on it, it will probably break when you try to remove it. More on fittings below.

When I re-installed the tank, I paid close attention to the hoses and wires. It was obvious what had caused the casualty. When the tank is lowered in place, the two drain hoses tend to wedge themselves between the pressure hose and the bike frame. This looks like it would put a pretty good torque on the fitting, Time, temperature and vibration would almost certainly lead to early fatigue and failure. So, be very careful of the hose routing when re-installing the tank.

While I had the tank off, I noticed the ‘scupper’ drain was corroded. Further study revealed the fitting was completely blocked. Judicious use of a ball pein hammer, an appropriately sized drill bit and pliers and I was soon rewarded with an ounce or two of discolored water. After blowing some compressed air from the drainhole at the top (with a large wad of paper towel in the fuel fill opening), I shot some corrosion preventive compound up the nipple. After a few minutes, I again shot some air down the line to ensure I had not blocked it. It’ll probably do no good, but what the heck…

Apparently, the first round of fittings replaced under recall were replaced with ‘better’ plastic fittings. Male side only. Later, the dealers replaced the fittings (again, Male only) with metal. Red for the pressure side, Silver for the return. So, you may have a VIN that shows as having the recall performed, but you have all plastic fittings. My local dealer said they would rectify that if someone in that situation showed up. Like a buddy of mine.

The chrome-plated brass pressure (tank) fitting is a Colder part #LCD10004BSPT. That is a ¼” Straight Return Female with British Straight Pipe Thread. The return fitting is a Colder part #LCD17005, or LCD17005V if you want a Viton O-ring. That is a 5/16” Hose Barb Valved In-Line CPC Coupling Body. Team Triumph sells only the four-piece kit (including the male 90’s), for $90. The parts are available from McMaster-Carr (possibly as a Special Order) and from Omega (ditto). Their part numbers are very similar to the Colder numbers. For instance, Omega uses a ‘FT’ prefix. The fittings are also available (and cheaper) from quickcouplings.net, but I could not reach their online ordering screen.

There is also a ¼” flow 90 degree hose barb/BSPT that mounts to the tank and accepts the return hose. It looks to be fairly stout, and I did not look into replacing it.

Lastly, I am a big fan of the Fuel Pressure Regulator Modification. I noted while I was studying the side of the tank that the stock FPR is rated for 300kPa, or kilopascals. That equals 43.5 psi. If I recall correctly, one of the fixes was to install a Ducati FPR, which are rated at 60psi. Or, smack the stock one a couple times to cave in the bonnet and load the spring a bit.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Good and interesting post pushr0d.

I'll have my tank off after I get back from holidays in a few weeks and will have a look see. I know DaveM had an issue with leaking fuel connectors last year too.

I am thinking of going strainght to the metal (male and female) quick connectors and being done with it. Plastic and fuel are not friends in my opinion.

Maybe something that we need to revisit. Thanks for posting. :)

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Good and interesting post pushr0d.

I'll have my tank off after I get back from holidays in a few weeks and will have a look see. I know DaveM had an issue with leaking fuel connectors last year too.

I am thinking of going strainght to the metal (male and female) quick connectors and being done with it. Plastic and fuel are not friends in my opinion.

Maybe something that we need to revisit. Thanks for posting. :)
Steve mine was actually the plastic box thingo everything plugs into on the side of the tank, it cracked, probably bumped it when i was lifting the tank or maybe while in the shop.

I probably posted that I thought it was the connectors thought at the time.

My connectors were ok from memory but the bigger plastic box thing was buggered!
Bugger!:p

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I just talked to Eric at quickcouplings.net. Their online ordering site is down, so you have to call.

The pressure fitting is $10.50, and the hose barb (return) fitting is $17.68. As soon as I verify the size of the hose barb (that it is indeed 5/16"), I'm ordering a set.

Dave, I'm not sure what 'plastic box' you speak of; all the 'stuff' in my fuel section is metal. The only plastic bits are the connectors and the 90 hose barb for the return hose, and of course, the rubber hose.

HTH!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just talked to Eric at quickcouplings.net. Their online ordering site is down, so you have to call.

The pressure fitting is $10.50, and the hose barb (return) fitting is $17.68. As soon as I verify the size of the hose barb (that it is indeed 5/16"), I'm ordering a set.

Dave, I'm not sure what 'plastic box' you speak of; all the 'stuff' in my fuel section is metal. The only plastic bits are the connectors and the 90 hose barb for the return hose, and of course, the rubber hose.

HTH!

Pushrod;
Did you ever get the fitting sizes or part numbers sorted out? Do you mind sharing? I have an '02 RS that has just started to smell like gasoline...looks like my weekend suddenly has a purpose....

Thanks,
Cowboy

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Cowboy,

I haven't had time to get into it; and to be fair, I think the job I did with the new nylon bit will probably last years.

If you can do without the bike for a bit, order the parts from QC. Otherwise, get the nylon ones (for more money) from either a Triumph or (apparently) a Ducati dealer. Seems like the Ducks use at least some of the same pieces.

Being in SoCal, you might be able to find the parts locally. And, they are available through Omega and McMaster-Carr.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cowboy,

If you can do without the bike for a bit, order the parts from QC. Otherwise, get the nylon ones (for more money) from either a Triumph or (apparently) a Ducati dealer. Seems like the Ducks use at least some of the same pieces.

Being in SoCal, you might be able to find the parts locally. And, they are available through Omega and McMaster-Carr.

Thanks, P-Rod;
Not sure I can do without the bike; summer is likely to break out at any moment around here! I'll try to match up the Ducati parts; Pro-Italias is right down the street.

Thanks,
Cowboy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts