Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing the tank to change plugs filters etc. I am about 200 miles from the nearest dealership.
Anyone know if a cross reference for the "o" rings exists?

Hate to pay freight on a .10 part but also trying to remove the "guesswork" since well the result of fuel leakage is a very bad thing.:eek:

Any thoughts/tips ?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Take one of the old ones and go to your local West Marine or equivalent, they'll have what you need. The o-rings in a Triumph aren't hand carved from virgin latex by ancient craftsmen in small English villages.....They're just priced like they are!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would just go to a NAPA or other automotive supplier. The fittings used on the Tiger are standard automotive type fittings and most suppliers keep o-rings available as a seperate item. Just carry your old one with you so they can size them up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was going to pull my tank because I had a leaky coolant fitting that I wanted to tighten and I couldn't get a wrench under the tank. When I went through the manual it said you should always replace the o-rings whenever the tank is removed. I called the dealership and they said that they didn't have the rings in stock and that they were around $4.50 USD each :eek:; for a little rubber ring! They also told me that they haven't had the o-rings in the dealership for quite a long time. This got me wondering whether they replace them everytime they remove the tank. It's either that, or they are using some other (likely less expensive) o-ring as a replacement.

I just ended up lifting the tank as far out the way as I could to get to the clamp. But I'm glad to hear that others are not necessarily using the Triumph brand ring. I just can't see having to order and spend that kind if money everytime you need to get under the tank.

·
Registered
265 Posts
........... When I went through the manual it said you should always replace the o-rings whenever the tank is removed. I called the dealership and they said that they didn't have the rings in stock and that they were around $4.50 USD each :eek:; for a little rubber ring! ............

If I was able to score $4.50 each for o-rings, I would recommend you replace them every time in the manual too!! :D:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
They're viton o-rings, so resistant to degradation by the fuel, allegedly. But all the same, the price is taking the piss! It's rather more likely one of the plastic fuel line sockets in the tank will fracture...

·
Registered
56 Posts
p2gee,
What are they charging in Texas for those rings? I wouldn't expect too great a swing between regions.

Winger,
I was tempted to take it off and just see whether they would leak after replacement but my more conservative side screamed, "It's fuel!" and I took the safe route.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What you need to worry about are the plastic female connectors,their a liability,having had one break off with a full tank of fuel and a red hot motor,one of the most interesting experiences i've had in 40 years of bikeing,the fuel rings are a minor detail.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The female connectors are that bad? Now I'm a bit paranoid to ever pull the tank. Can you replace the female connector or are they part of the tank requiring a new tank if they are to be replaced? Are there any precautions I can take to help ensure I don't break the female end?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The female connectors are that bad? Now I'm a bit paranoid to ever pull the tank. Can you replace the female connector or are they part of the tank requiring a new tank if they are to be replaced? Are there any precautions I can take to help ensure I don't break the female end?
have a look here......

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4017

scroll down and you`ll find it !!

i`ve never checked mine yet, hope you can tell what both parts are made of without disconnecting anything !!

KK

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you have a Tiger thats a couple of years old then the chances are,the fuel and plastic fatigue hasn't caught up with them,on the other hand mine is a 2001 and one of female connectors just sheared off while i was on the road,on holiday in fact,they are easy to replaced just unscrew them with a spanner,if they shear off, at home in the garage with with all the right tools it took me an hour,on the road i guess a garage could do the same and get you out of jail if you carry a spare.

What happens,the connector part of the female is still on the male,it shears off at the thread which is left screwed into the tank.

My Tiger broke down 5 miles from Dover(on the way to catch the ferry and travel to Monza) last year,with no hope of a repair,breakdown supplied a car,we unloaded the bike,drove home,reloaded our other bike and set off the following day,when we returned home,i replaced both females with genuine Triumph parts,but honestly lost all faith in e'm,i've since replaced them again with metal aftermarket alternatives there are threads on both Tiger boards about the subject,the irony they are cheaper than the originals,and it's a nice feeling that i (we) won't have to go through what can only be discribed as a very interesting experience again!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the sheared off female thread out by cutting into it with a sharp chisel blade, then turning the chisel. Choose the chisel size small enough that it will not touch the metal plate.

You definitely want the Oring on the male fitting to be in good shape, without it the fitting will not seal.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Interestingly,i only bought the female metal replacements,when i phoned he told me what bike i rode!!! just shows how common the problem is,i use the original alloy males that Triumph replaced and the O rings on them are the originals as well, they must be 7 years old at least,and leak free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Having carefully read everything in the girly forum I was prepared to remove my fuel tank and repair the vacuum hose attached to the fuel regulator.

The tank removal and hose repair was relatively easy.

The re-installation of the fuel tank was easy until I attempted to attach the fuel supply hose, whereupon I promptly broke the female coupler.

I re-read all the posts I could find on metal fuel fittings
It appears that the fitting recall had been performed as the elbow fittings are metal while the female fitting that broke is plastic.

Since the metal fittings are not valved and gas drippage a pain I ordered all four valved fittings from QuickCoupling:

------------------------------------------------------
2 x LCD23006 - 3/8 Hose Barb Valved Elbow CPC Coupling Insert (LCD23006) =
$21.30
2 x LCD10004BSPT - 1/4 BSPT Valved CPC Coupling Body (LCD10004BSPT) = $21.00
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $42.30
Table Rate (Best Way): $8.50
Total: $50.80

They'll be here in a week or two.

So now to prepare the tank for the new firrings.

I removed the fuel pump assy

Then I removed the intact female coupler
The broken coupler broke off flush with the threads

So now I have to figure out how to remove it without damaging the threads.
I think I'll try to superglue a bolt to the plastic and see if I can un-screw it.

Any thoughts, suggestions and or questions?[/img]

·
Registered
4 Posts
They're viton o-rings, so resistant to degradation by the fuel, allegedly. But all the same, the price is taking the piss! It's rather more likely one of the plastic fuel line sockets in the tank will fracture...
if you with the "put in what fits" method, i suggest getting multiples. i gave my orings to a gal at work who inspected them, gave me a standard size that any oring would cross reference to, and reminded me "these are viton for a reason." I've got nitrile ones in my bike right now, which works fine ... till you take them out ... and then they expand, and you throw them away ... thus why i carry spares ...

·
Registered
351 Posts
That might explain why mine both nicked last time I removed the fittings. I have Viton rigs on the male fittings now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts