Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know if my fuel filter is bad?

I really have no reason to believe that it is but sometimes in 1st and 2nd it kinda surges a bit. Not bad but I notice it because I'm oversensitive to how she rides. Really just curious cause I'm bored and couldn't find an answer when I searched.

When I had the tank apart the bag on the pump looked brand new.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The bag is just a pre filter screen, and considering the amount of gasoline that passes through it, I wonder if they ever get dirty!

A sign of a blocked filter would be high RPM surging, as if you were running out of fuel. Lower rpm surging would indicate "other" issues

If you are bored, do what I did, change it anyway! Are you aching to take the tank off again after the paint job, or are you looking for things to do after all that work?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If it seems to have a lot more money than it should, or if it stays out all night, with no good explanation where it was...

These and other signs could indicate your filter is bad. I suggest a good talk. Maybe a beating or two.

Hopefully it is not too late, and you can turn your filter around. Make it a fine member of society, and all that!

Hope this helps!

(Seriously though, Chef pretty much nailed it.)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha that was good.

Well I pretty much am looking for stuff to go now that the paint is done. I'm going to replace the plugs on sunday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts