Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S1999 Sprint, $55 fuel filter???
Re: FUEL FILTER SUBSTITUTE
When rebuilding the fuel tank internals on my ’99 Sprint ST, I was a bit taken back by the $55 price for a simple ‘in-tank’ fuel filter.
Thanks to the knowledgeable counter persons at MERLES AUTO here in Tucson, we found a compatible auto fuel filter which cost only $16.
Here is the part # & mfg.; WIX FILTERS, # 33023, (www.wixfilters.com)
Note that this filter is about 1.5 x the size of the factory filter, so it will require a longer internal run of fuel line, looped so the fuel filter can be tucked into the tank when mounting the plate.
Also, be sure to use ONLY fuel line rated for full immersion inside the tank. Regular fuel line will dissolve into a gummy mess. The full immersion fuel line is a bit pricey, but one has no choice.
Ride on.........
Spendo, Tucson AZ

·
Registered
234 Posts
talked to my triumph dealer about this, and he has repaired several bikes with these in them. there is no bypass he claims, and that can lead to the filter coming apart in the event of plugging. the triumph part has a bypass and this will not be a problem.

he also said that BMW make the same exact part (it is stamped exactly the same, just printed with bmw vs triumph, but same part number) that is on $32. he also says ducati make it too, but over $60....
so, that full imersion line, is it less than $16 and time and energy? if not, get the bmw filter, I'll look for the box with the part number tonight.

just thought I would post about how they have repaired it enough times to be concerned for me (also realizing they wanted to sell a filter, but they wanted to sell me the cheeper filter)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
a couple of things:
1. the car filter is a lot larger than the bike filter, so it has a far greater capacity to absorb particles than does the bike filter, ergo less chance of plugging and having to go into bypass mode.
2. this particular car filter is metal, just like the bike filters, (not plastic) so it won't 'come apart' like the ones your dealer 'fixed' (which were probably plastic).
3. the original internal hoses, new from triumph and installed at the factory were reduced to a gummy mess. so (due to the alcohol in gas) the internal hoses will all have to be replaced when changing the filter anyway.
4. the bike filter does not have a dump for the bypass, so i assume that the filter (in bypass mode) takes itself out of the circuit and allows unfiltered fuel into the system, which could plug your injectors and maybe ruin the pump.
(if this in not the case, could anyone please explain the inner-workings of these filters).
anyway, i'd rather have a stalled engine with a clogged filter than a stalled engine with clogged injectors / pump.
$40 repair VS $400 repair.
any other thoughts or comments out there?
TS

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Guys, check the alternate parts thread in the 'Blogs.' There are several alternates to the Triumph part, and they are the same as the OEM fitment.

IIRC, the Purolator I put in my bike was $6 and change.

Just don't buy a plastic one...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts