Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:
I took a ride this past weekend with a friend, and he commented on how his Scrambler was getting upwards of 70 m.p.g., based upon our refueling. I said tht an 865cc bike couldn't possibly get that kind of mileage, and while I was breaking in my new Bonnie I was realizing about 40 m.p.g.. Well, after that ride, which included my wife on back, I filled refueled 2.575 gallons with 191.8 miles on my trip odometer, which gets reset every time. This results in a 74 m.p.g. rating! Unbelievable, for a larger volume displacement bike! :-D Does anybody else have similar results?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Isn't anybody getting similar or better results?
:???:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Ive never got more then 53 mpg and that was all highway
and the 790 cc bonnie.
I think you better recheck because I don't think you would
get that kind of mileage even if it was all down hill.
I'm thinking maybe you turned one to many turns on your
odometer when you zeroed it out.
Bill

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm getting 50 during break-in, I've removed the AI, EVAP system, and done a Bafflectomy. If I fit TOR's, will my mileage go up or down? Thanks, Tom :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just completed my bafflectomy tonight.... I don't believe there will be a significant change one way or the other, but I will be paying attention to this!
:brk:
Personally, I don't understand it, but numbers don't lie!
This is, by all means, no complaint. Just a statement of bafflement! (Every pun intended!)
:jest:

·
Registered
393 Posts
It must be that thin air in the Mojave Desert.

If there's anywhere someone can get 70+ mpg it's there. Thousands of square miles of nothing but sand and rocks and the occasional Yucca tree, no traffic, no stoplights, and hardly any corners. It's wonderful riding country if you appreciate really big vistas and 100 mile lines of sight.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well it is/was true and I cannot figure it out as well, I topped off in Lancaster and did a say 48 mile run some uphill but yes some downhill canyon, I averaged about 60-70mph most of the time it was about 60deg, I refilled and it would only take .6 of a gallon(I could care less about milage), This is my 38th bike and I spent 2 years RoadRacing with the AFM(so I'm not throttle shy) My last 998 Ducati on this same loop would have been half empty.....I do not get it.My Scrambler is box stock with 900 miles, I also have had times at 120 mile mark she needed fuel...Which I think is normal. When I saw Desert today he too had a odd milage claim....Nobody elese have this happen??? Bike is running both cylinders and never felt sluggish..... :???:

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2007-03-06 20:11, desertrat wrote:
Isn't anybody getting similar or better results?
:???:
Not even on a good day... never have and never will. I think you guys are forgetting to reset the trip odometer to zero or something.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Musta been the gas down there......

All I need do is fill up on the other side of the border in Nevada, and every bike I've done this with has gotten MUCH better gas mileage.

Another thing I've noticed is how much my gas mileage can improve if I'm cruising at higher altitudes, over 70 mph, on a lengthy ride. Never could understand it, but it's happened all too often to deny.

I don't know, the CHP newbies are down there aren't they..... you must know that you gotta behave. Isn't that a little high desert too, ideal temps, perfect day for a relaxed ride?

Stranger things have happened.

---------------------------------------

I'm anxious to get my set up sniffed, as I suspect that I'm having to give it too much throttle, forcing more gas than necessary to get it to perform. I think I need bigger main jets, and I might see my mileage improve if I toy with it a little more.....

I'd be hella happy to see over 50 mpg, let alone over 70!?!?!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I often get around 60mpg from my Scrambler when I'm "taking it easy". I would guess with a little more restraint and favourable conditions 70 would be feasible.

·
Registered
393 Posts
"All I need do is fill up on the other side of the border in Nevada, and every bike I've done this with has gotten MUCH better gas mileage."

That's possibly because California gas has lots of alcohol in it which reduces it's specific energy a lot. Nevada gasoline has more gasoline in it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wow, interesting. I've never done better than about 50mpg, and that was on an extended ride on open country roads. In town I get more like 35mpg. I do ride fairly aggressively, but I'd have to be awfully light on the throttle to manage 60mpg highway, let alone 70.

I am curious about something else -- how much have people been finding their mileage decrease after eliminating their airbox and installing free-flowing pipes?

--mark

1 - 20 of 27 Posts