Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know how many litres of which spec fuel does your T100 consume per 100kms. Please state whether it's a stock bonnie or not and which relevant mods you've undertaken. Also interesting would be what kind of rider you are and where (urban, highway) you ride your bike most of the time.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I'd like to know how many litres of which spec fuel does your T100 consume per 100kms. Please state whether it's a stock bonnie or not and which relevant mods you've undertaken. Also interesting would be what kind of rider you are and where (urban, highway) you ride your bike most of the time.
There's a few fuel economy threads going around, but since this ones Aussie related here's my experience

08 Bonneville Efi.
Tors
Airbox baffle out, Breathe air inlet and DNA air filter
TTP tune 2
Only ever run 91, previous owner only ran 98 made him feel all warm and fuzzy I guess.

Riding like a nana, chilling out on back country roads (80-90kph) I get 4.5l-100k
Upping the pace to 100-110 drops it back to
5.2l-100k
Commuting in small country town (has 3 sets of traffic lights)
6.25l-100k

Fuel economy as such doesn't really worry me, it's more about range as fuel stops can be a long way apart .
Tyre pressures need to be checked weekly as it has a big effect and the tubed tyres loose a noticeable amount of psi in a week.

Enjoy your new bike.

·
Banned
264 Posts
I have a 2012 mag wheel Bonnie which is broadly similar but doesn't lose air pressure, and it has 'high flow' exhausts and the matching Triumph tune, and I always use 95 octane which the later models with high compression pistons do prefer (I ran it once on 91 and the vibration was terrible). I do mostly country riding with it. My country riding average at 110 to 120km/h is 5 litres / 100km. I have calibrated the speedo error with a GPS, so the speedo speed is usually 115 km/h on back roads, and 125 km/h if I take to the freeway before turning off onto the back roads.

When I use it around Canberra that rises marginally to 5.3 litres / 100km, but Canberra riding is quite different to anywhere else with a lot of roundabouts and few traffic lights, so cross-town riding means you often keep momentum up for quite long distances and rarely come to a complete stop.

I have fuel consumption records of my younger days and a past Kawasaki 650-four and two Suzuki GS1000s all averaged 5.5 litres / 100km in a mixture of city and country riding then. I put the improvement in economy down to EFI, which is why mine would be more economical than Plodalong.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
9.2/1 high compression? unless you changed the OEMs that's what you have. Vibration because you use a different octane?? The bike is designed to run on 89 (US) I have even used 87 with no problems. This is not a high performance motorbike, over built and very conservatively tuned.

·
Banned
264 Posts
In 2011 compression was increased to 10:1 which does make a difference. All I could get once was 91 octane and it vibrated terribly, until I burned off some of the 91 and put 95 back in. Then it ran smoothly again.

The dealer recommended 95 because the newer models don't run well on 91, and they were right!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
In 2011 compression was increased to 10:1 which does make a difference. All I could get once was 91 octane and it vibrated terribly, until I burned off some of the 91 and put 95 back in. Then it ran smoothly again.

The dealer recommended 95 because the newer models don't run well on 91, and they were right!
Every known source states 9.2/1 compression. Your petrol may have had water in it from the corn liquor used to curb emissions. I ride with 15 others all with Bonnevilles, no one has ever had a vibration from using 87/89/91/93 octane.

·
Driftless Admin
11,423 Posts
cbrmale's bike is apparently exceptionally finicky about octane, but he's basically right on the compression. The change is noted in the shop manual:

Bonnies 9.2:1 for mechanical speedo bikes, 10.2:1 for electronic speedo models.

Scrambler 9.2:1

Thrux with carbs 9.2:1, Thrux with EFI 10.2:1

If your bike runs good on 87 octane, then you're good. Doesn't really matter what cbrmale runs in his bike.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
I can run on any octane level without pinging.

Just got back from a long trip and my MPG all over the board. Went from 30 to 44 MPG depending on speeds. Going through Nevada route 50 I was doing 85 to 90 MPH hours on end with MPG from 30 to 36 MPG. If I kept it down to 65 MPH it would give me 45 MPG.

2007 carb model, airbox removed, K&N, 42/140, 1.5 turns, no shims stock needles, 90 profile rear tire with 18 tooth sprocket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2005 carb model. I got rid of the airbox and re-jetted (New Bonneville ARK) and got rid of the air injection.

My bike runs on any gas I put into it, but it is extra peppy with 91 octane. I see a power benefit from the 91 because I have carburetors ... fuel injection systems monitor air flow and O2 in the exhaust so they will compensate fuel delivery for any kind of gas you put into it, and so fuel injected models will probably see no benefit from the higher octane.

Most of what I ride is secondary roads with plenty of curves and hills, so I spend most of my time in fourth gear, and I can rely on getting 45 mpg. The last time I took a highway trip where I was in fifth gear and at speed most of the time, I got 52+ mpg.

Prior to taking off the airbox, the best I could do was 47 mpg, and I was getting about 43 around town. The increase in fuel economy is nice, but the best thing about removing the airbox and air injection is the dramatically improved throttle response.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your mileage may vary...

I have all the TTP#3 mods on a 2013 mag wheel Bonnie.

The worst mileage is as low as 30 MPG, but that's because I'm enjoying all that new torque and winding it up around town. On a weekend ride in the country I get about 45MPG.

Using 87.

I'm sure I'll settle down a bit to get better mileage, but having too much fun now.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a 2003 T100 that I have gutted the airbox, installed a K&N filter, removed the snorkel and opened up the air inlet. 42P, Thrux needles, 135 mains, 3/4 turn mixture screws. 520 chain/sprocket conversion, stock size tires. I typically average ~50-55mpg any which way I ride it through whatever terrain. Running down the freeway at 80mph I was getting 50mpg and riding the BRP through the mountains I was getting 52mpg. I usually use 89 pump gas, or 91 if I can find it w/o ethanol in it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
2007 carb-godness.

Stock: 50mpg on normal use, and more when having fun with friends.
Now: Breathe, DNA-Filter, baffle removal, Brituro Dunstall Decibels and re-jetted. Still 50mpg in normal use, and way more than before when having fun with friends :D

I use only RON98-fuels.

·
Registered
66 Posts
on the web for 2012 Bonneville T100, it says 21.3km/lt. and my tank size is 15.9lt. since my fuel warning light is not functioning, i pump once it reach 180-200km. last weekend took it till it drains out, just to see the km is showing only 220km = 13.8km/liter !!!

Everything stock, i run 95 and 98, both gives same results, my idle RPM is around 800-900 when warm. am not revving like crazy, more cruise ride around town area.

Can direct me what i can check myself first or play around with the settings (minus OBD setting) before asking a mechanic.

Cheers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Triumph might say the tank is 15.9 litres but it most assuredly is not. I once changed the fuel filter and then completely wiped the tank dry. It took exactly 15 litres to full. Considering the fuel pump pickup needs to be submerged we would be lucky to have 14.5 litres of usable fuel.

I can get 250 km from a tank, however I have some mods and a TTP tune. 21.3 sounds far fetched, although there are widely varying numbers amongst forum members.

Cheers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve been getting 18.28km/liter with the following mods: AI/O2 sensors removed, air box removed,DNA pods, TORS, and TTP Tune 11. Running 93 octane (US)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts