Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Have finished running in my 09 SE, out of curiosity I pushed the button to flip the display over to the real time fuel consumption meter...At 50mph in sixth gear it sits normally @ about 65-74mpg. At 40-45mph it's saying about 80mpg. The average indicates 55-60 mpg, which is a mixture of sensible and some hooning....When I go to fill the tank it seems to indicate the meter is pretty accurate...

So I wonder if this is right, since I always thought this type of machine would be quite thirsty. Mind you...In hooning mode it drops to 28mpg :D

Cheers

B

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First think you need to state is where you are from, as a US gallon and an Imperial Gallon are different sizes, so where i get an average or 45mpg, here in the states our gallon is less then that of the UK counterparts.

Ah...My bad. UK

ATB

B

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm getting squat for mileage right now, 35MPG. (USA) I didn't buy the bike for gas mileage though.

My fuel consumption meter states an average of 42 MPG.

I'm going in for a re-map of my fuel management system, and hopefully that will solve it until I can afford a tune-boy.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My fuel consumption always drops in the winter time, i know here in NJ they "oxygenate" (or some crap like that) the fuel in order to promote better emissions over the cold season, but it kills my gas milage (my car doesnt get any better then 20 mpg over the winter season, but i can always tell when they make the switch cause i go from 250 miles on a tank to 320+ miles on a tank.

When i first got my bike it was reading high, 55+ mpg, but i double checked and the bike was set for UK gallons, not US, so had to switch the mode on the display.

I also didn't get the bike for its "fuel economy" but compared to my car that gets 26mpg at best, and my truck that averages 9-13mpg, the S3 is very much friendly on the wallet. (though my XL250R used to be able to get 65-75mpg, but was no where near as much fun).

·
Registered
446 Posts
It isn't in the manual, i found the information how to change it on this forum somewhere, trying to find it, lets see if someone else can beat me to it.

It is just a combination of pressing the buttons on the instrument cluster that selects between modes 1, 2, and 3 (Metric, UK, and US)

·
Registered
359 Posts
fuel consumption

Hi Guys,

Have finished running in my 09 SE, out of curiosity I pushed the button to flip the display over to the real time fuel consumption meter...At 50mph in sixth gear it sits normally @ about 65-74mpg. At 40-45mph it's saying about 80mpg. The average indicates 55-60 mpg, which is a mixture of sensible and some hooning....When I go to fill the tank it seems to indicate the meter is pretty accurate...

So I wonder if this is right, since I always thought this type of machine would be quite thirsty. Mind you...In hooning mode it drops to 28mpg :D

Cheers

B
You cant believe the guage/computer.an instant reading tells you nothing.Fill the tank and run a couple of hundred km or M's then fill again and record the readings and do this at least 3 times and this will give you a true average fuel consumption.Most people I have come across take ther BEST fuel MPG's usually taken after rolling down a 25 mile long hill and getting about 80MPG then they crow about it for ever.Its good to know youre true average when you are travelling long distance in remote area's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
here in the states our gallon is less then that of the UK counterparts.
1 UK gallon = 1.2 US gallon for reference.

And yup...my settings were for UK (2) and changed to US(3) last night. Thanks for the info on that! I guess my dealer didn't have that on their "pre sale" inspection list.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
A friend riding a SR2 1000 DUC and I did a 300+ mile ride over the N. Cascades and back yesterday. I did a pretty accurate check on the gas mileage and for as hard as we were riding got 49+ mpg. My S3's odometer flashed 5000 somewhere along the ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts