Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a problem...I can't get the fuel or gas cap off the tank on my Scrambler.
I only do it up to the 1st click, it turns anti clockwise around 1/3 of a turn & comes up hard...to hard to move.

What's the secret ? is this a common problem ?
What if I'm stuck at the side of the road ?

I'm getting angry because it's such a simple problem with huge repercustons

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yes this happens, not to me but others,and was talked about. Try the search and put in stuck cap, gas cap, etc. Something will come up, and will tell you how to get it off. Good luck

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this happens, not to me but others,and was talked about. Try the search and put in stuck cap, gas cap, etc. Something will come up, and will tell you how to get it off. Good luck
Thanks I've have a look

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wear some rubber gloves to gain better grip and in future tighten up to the first click. Your cap will be secure and will undo easily.
It's worked for me over three years.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have this problem on my 07 Bonnies too. I can temporarily fix it by spraying silicone on the rubber gasket, but it only lasts a few months. I notice, however, that on my 2009 it's very easy to remove the cap, and the only difference I can see is the rubber gasket is shaped differently and seems to be different material. The caps seem to be interchangeable, so I'm going to order a couple of the 2009 gaskets and see if the problem goes away. If it does, i'll post the p/n for the 2009 gasket. [the gaskets on my three 60's era Triumphs are cork :>)) ]

Dick

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Stuck like Chuck

Common problem in the 07-08 models, put on a pair of leather gloves, use both hands and unscrew like crazy putting a lot of down pressure on the cap.
That failing, get a large pair of channel locks (water pump pliers), cover your cap and tank with a heavy cloth or towel and unscrew the cap being careful not to let the channel locks mar the tank or cap.
Once you have it off, don't even take it to the first click, just tighten until it gets firm and a bit beyond but never, never to the first click.
Good luck!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Koifarm is right. I have no problems anymore loosening my lockable cap. No "click" needed, just screwed down lightly, never leaked or came undone.:)
Thieu.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 07 same problem.Best fix....Monza. Never regretted it.:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Much as I hate to differ with what might seem like a lot of good advice, I had this problem with my '07 Bonnie when it was new, and all I did was keep at it, figuring it was an artifact of being new. Maybe the first 10 times removing were super stiff (requiring a strong effort wearing my grippy leather gloves), but it got easier. I always tighten til the click, and the cap is quite workable now. I once tightened only until before the click, and was horrified a few days later to realize a fuel smell I had coming off the bike was due to the cap having unscrewed itself a bit (this could have been partially due to the bike being in my extremely hot garage here in Phoenix during the summer).

So be careful if you decide to not tighten to the click again - I'd suggest checking the cap every time you get on the bike to make sure it hasn't loosened.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My 07 same problem.Best fix....Monza. Never regretted it.:D
I never had a problem because I'd read about these problems before I even bought my bike. So like the guys said above, I never cranked it down tight, and then my first accessory purchase was a Monza gas cap. It's still my favorite accessory. Functional and stylish...

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Guys I have a problem...I can't get the fuel or gas cap off the tank on my Scrambler.
I only do it up to the 1st click, it turns anti clockwise around 1/3 of a turn & comes up hard...to hard to move.

I had exactly the same problem when I first bought my Bonneville, it was ridiculous I just couldn't undo it, before I went out each week my husband greased the gasket and I only tightened it to the first click, now I tighten it the two clicks (after owning it for six years) but I still can't open it without putting on my leather glove.

One person in the UK put his shoulder out of joint trying to undo his cap.

Slightly different subject, I wish they would make the opening into the tank bigger, as I find it difficult to fill up, if I fill up from the left side of the bike, I usually spill the petrol all over the tank, so I have to fill up from the right side, even though sometimes it means waiting in queues to get that side of the pump, it doesn't help only being 5' 4"

Plasma

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had the same problem on my Speedmaster.
The Monza cap is not available on Speedmaster/America so it's not an option, not sure about Scrambler.

Checking old threads was enough to convince me to just tighten till it feels snug. No clicks. I have put on lots of desert miles and it works fine. It is amazing how tight that sucker gets if you tighten past the click.

·
Registered
487 Posts
One flaw of the Monza cap: I had one of those on a BSA -it came undone while touring with a tank bag on top of it.
Believe me, it made my voice higher in pitch for the next week or so...I also noticed that a fuel drenched Levis takes miles to dry!

Thieu.:(

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Common problem in the 07-08 models, put on a pair of leather gloves, use both hands and unscrew like crazy putting a lot of down pressure on the cap.
That failing, get a large pair of channel locks (water pump pliers), cover your cap and tank with a heavy cloth or towel and unscrew the cap being careful not to let the channel locks mar the tank or cap.
Once you have it off, don't even take it to the first click, just tighten until it gets firm and a bit beyond but never, never to the first click.
Good luck!
It wasn't just the 07-08 models....it was ALL of them. There were a lot of "Am I a girly man?" posts going on regarding stuck gas caps. We've all been there and done that......looking like a fool at a gas station.

I agree....only go to the first click. Also, the Triumph locking gas cap is thicker and sits up higher...making it much, much, much, much, easier to remove. I'll post pics later tonight.

·
Registered
648 Posts
One flaw of the Monza cap: I had one of those on a BSA -it came undone while touring with a tank bag on top of it.
Believe me, it made my voice higher in pitch for the next week or so...I also noticed that a fuel drenched Levis takes miles to dry!

Thieu.:(
Bella Corse has added a set screw to theirs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stuck gas cap

Had the same problem. My solution: dismantle the cap by removing the large snap ring inside. Then use a small file and smooth the ratchet teeth on the inside of the cap. Apply grease to the mechanism and assemble it.
I did this to my 2002 T-100 and that was the end of my problem.

Norse

1 - 20 of 23 Posts