Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike was running a bit off and I just discovered that the air/fuel mixture screw is actually a plug for some EPA reason. I tried to slot the plug but it didn't work. Does anyone know where I can find some real screws at?? Also, how many turns in would be a good place to start once I put the new screws in. Help!
Best
Desperately stalling bonnie black

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You must have an earlier model Bonneville in which a thin plug is over the adjustment screw. You need to drill a small hole through the plug, thread in a screw, grab the screw head with pliers or something, and yank it out.
Later models, like my '07, have a D shaped screw which requires a special tool to adjust.
Try the search function for more explicit directions for you job. I know you do not want to go too deep with the drill - like just enough so it goes through the material.
If you do have a later model bike, you're looking at the wrong spot, LOL!
Oh, I think stock set up is 2 and one half out. [Thinking about a shop manual?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah I see. I actually have the D shaped screws. where can i find the tool to do the adjustments? I shaved them down a little thinking I could try to use a small screw driver or tweezers, but that didn't work.

So maybe I should just get two new D screws and the tool. Everything for the bike seems to need an extra accessory!

Thanks guys for clearing this up, and any help with the tools (or a standard screw that I can used a good ol fashion flat head on) is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
newbonneville has the tool - works well, you can make one [I did out of an air nozzle tube, kinda sloppy fit], you can replace with thumbscrews at newbonn as well.

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
NewBonneville also has replacement thumbscrews that completely eliminate the adjustment tools and working blind, well worth the cost for the reduced aggravation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts