Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use fuel additives like Techron. I had my Mini S in for a 15k oil change last week. The service guy asked if I wanted the full 15k service. The oil change is $125 so I asked how much for the full service and what do I get. Well I get a bottle of injector cleaner, a new cabin filter and they look for error codes $400. I turned it down but the fact Mini recomends injector cleaner. Techron comes highly reccomended on the Mini site. The last it was mentioned on this site was 2 years ago. Claims to keep carbon down and keep the injectors atomizing correctly and even cure hard starting. Has anyone used it and noticed a difference?

·
Registered
329 Posts
wha.....$125.00 oil change???? was this to include other service items or oil change only...and you are willing to pay that????

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much less for a dealer oil change on my Sprint considering Triumph oil is $75 and the filter $15 w/o labor. I turned down the $275 for an air filter, computer check and a bottle of injector cleaner. I can buy an OBD reader for $60, a filter for $30 and $10 for cleaner. Be sure next time when it's out of warranty I'll get ramps and do it my self.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Be careful with adding fuel additives/cleaners. They can damage the wiring for the fuel pump and also interfere with the contacts for the fuel level gauge.
I'm pretty sure that gasoline in the US has fuel cleaners in it by law, so it's not something you'd want to add constantly.
I have 150k miles on my car, and the valves barely have any deposits on them, so quality gas works just fine! :cool:

·
Registered
727 Posts
My impressions from the techies that work with EFI, both petrol and diesel, is to leave the fuel alone and not use any additives or cleaners at all. The higher octane unleaded here in Aus, BP Ultimate 98 and Shell something 98, both are advertised to have cleaning quailities. I tend to use those fuels as they make the engine feel sweeter and smoother, funny about that, and if they tend to help the injectors so be it. I have not heard of injectors failing because of normal fuel use over time. Plenty have failed because of dirty fuel, but additives will not help there. My bikes tend to be traded at about 60 to 70,000 km's, I don't use additives, and I have not had any problems. Fuel additives might be a bit like bottled water. Just a marketing ploy by a big company.
Cheers, Simmo

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Was just at the dealers today talking to Clint in between dyno runs on my bike. Ore has the crappy blended fuel law and it does make for real headaches on carbed bikes. Not so much of a problem running on EFI bikes like we have though the mileage drops about 2mpg.

If you want to put something in here's a clue. Smell any carb/injector cleaner then smell your girl's nail polish remover. They both share acetone as the major component.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I very seldom put any treatment in the bike, but my late F-150 and the LOML's Expy (both 5.4L) seem to like a good snort of SeaFoam about once a year. The 5.4 develops a bit of a shaky idle, and seems to start a bit less readily.

After the 'Foam, it runs like a top.

FWIW, I had the fuel pump assembly out of my ST a couple weeks ago, and figured I'd change the filter while I was in there.

The inside of the tank was very clean, with no gorp in the bottom, and nothing to speak of on the pump intake sock. There was a little bit of sand in a couple of the tanks crevices. I figure the sand fell/blew into the fill hole when I opened it to refuel.

I put a clean paper towel in my big funnel, and blew the fuel remnants out of the fuel filter (lung pressure) into it. I figured I'd get some mung, or bugs or something.

Nothing came out but gas! 5-1/2 years and almost 24,000 miles, and the filter didn't give up anything! I'm going to bisect the old filter tomorrow to see what the element trapped; if there is anything to report, I'll take a couple of pictures.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Good vid mglemans86, I love to laugh at Aussies!! :D They're a funny bunch!

I have just refilled after having to fill up on regular unleaded (92) because the service station was out of 95 and 98. The difference was amazing.

92 - rough idle, low down shudders under load, woeful pick up. It is amazing the difference that good fuel makes.

I have never used additives in my bike though, but I do have a Fuel Fitch for whatever difference that may make?? :cool:

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No need for cleaners if you use premium fuel. Carbed or not premium goes in the tank.
Yes, but the Sprint specifies mid grade fuel not premium. My Mini requires premium but still recommends additive every 15k. My truck requires regular and that's all it gets and usually it's the cheapest I can find.

I'm going to try it in the Sprint next week when I intend on burning through a tankfull. The bike has about 16k miles. I'll report back.

The only caution I got from a buddy who has used it for yrs in his race car, his 911, his bike and his truck is that it's best to use when you plan on burning through a whole tank.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Stick to top tier gas and you'll be fine. www.toptiergas.com

My sources tell me Shell V-Power has the best additive package right now, and it has in fact dethroned Chevron Techron.

I only use Shell gasolines in all of my cars and motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree with oppressed - nothing but top tier gas, which means Shell V-Power here in Michigan. I own an Audi RS4 with FSI (fuel injected directly into the combustion chamber) and these FSI cars are extremely sensitive to fuel quality. Top-tier is a must, plus I now use a gas additive for the first time ever and use it routinely. Never in the bikes though! Just good fuel.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Techron is good stuff, but only the bottle marked "synthetic concentrate" is strong enough to have any real effect over 15 (+/-) gallons worth of gas (about how much one 12 oz. bottle of Techron synthetic concentrate is designed to treat).

GM repackages Techron Concentrate under their part numbers for dealership use when treating engines under warranty that are sensitive to injector clogging, intake valve deposit buildup and combustion chamber deposit build up. During my studies getting my car degree from GM we did a pretreatment teardown of a higher mileage engine with pretty nasty carbon deposits in the combustion chambers, intake valve deposits and restricted injectors, then put it back together and dropped it in the car, running two tanks of fully treated fuel through it (~24 gal total). We then tore the engine down again and took a look at the intake valves, piston tops and ran a spray bar injector test for pattern and a CC test for flow.

Bottom line, Techron concentrate works pretty well. It notably improved the injector pattern and flow (but did not make it like new). It removed considerable deposits from the combustion chambers, down to clean metal on the intake valve side and somewhat less on the exhaust valve side. It removed most but not all intake valve deposits. Note that this engine was a severe example, having been run for 60,000 miles on the cheapest fuel available. It pinged on regular and idled poorly (failed an emissions test too) before cleaning. After treatment, it passed emissions, idled a lot better, and ran on regular as it was designed to do. It did take two full tanks of treated fuel to accomplish this improvement.

Of course, if you have clean injectors, no intake valve deposits, and clean combustion chambers you don't need it.

The Top Tier gas site has some good info on the tests and better standards encouraged by participating manufacturers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, VW, Audi and Toyota) and why the current, weak US federal standards are inadequate to prevent deposit formation in those critical areas.

See: http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html for more info.

GM Top Engine Cleaner is particularly effective for direct application to piston tops, intake valves etc (pour in and let sit). It will get rid of ALL combustion chamber deposits and intake valve deposits but application is more labor intensive and a bit tricky. IIRC T.E.C. has been superceded by something less toxic (TEC used a witch's brew of nasty toxic solvents that worked like gangbusters but was pretty poisonous, like 9-octadecendic acid, 4-methyl-2-pentatol and 2-butoxyethanol). TEC was not intended to be poured in the tank.

I use one bottle of Techron concentrate (6 bucks on sale) every 20,000 miles or so in my car and my bike as a preventative measure since I tend to use the cheapest gas I can find. It works well - my Civic has 181,000 miles and runs like a top, the Sprint has 56,500 miles and runs well too.

If you have used top tier gas since new, chances are you'll have no need for Techron or any other fuel additive.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts