Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firing squad, or guillotine? Paper cut, or blood blister? Will he ever get to the point?

Okay, okay. As I left work this evening, I quickly decided that I didn't want to just take the straight, quick route home. I was actually kind of warm in my gear as I walked to the bike, so I was eager to choose a more scenic route. One should never pass up a good chance to do so in December (yes, I hear you southern hemisphere folks). But which route to take? It was almost dark, and the quadrupeds have moved out of the peaks down to lower, scenic-route-home type elevations.

So my choices were to take a rather sinuous route that could reasonably be expected to be Odocoileus free, but which would involve a fair bit of schlepping along in traffic. The other route almooset guarantees a look at a mule deer or six, but has far less traffic and better curves.

What would you choose? Guaranteed traffic (with negligible chance of deer), or little traffic, better twisties, and a >60% probability of playing 'why did the ungulate cross the road'?

·
29,948 Posts
>60% would be too risky for me.

Now - I f I knew the route, and had ridden it enough to have seen deer plenty, and know where their comon crossing routes are so that I could reduce the risk substantially, then I'd take the twisties.

Or maybe I'd take the twisties anyway. Hell I don't know, there are days when I would just do it and keep my eyes peeled.

There - official answer - depends how I feel at any given moment.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Fire! Especially if there's an opportunity to send a deer into break dance mode or dodge elk (Ford, Chevy?) or encounter the majestic moose.

And Hide, methinks the only time you take the straightaways is when you have familial duties and your day has compressed itself to impossible thinness.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Problem is that this time of year the deer are in rut and their little pea brains aren't thinking straight. They see something moving and they want to screw it or challange it.I see them every dusk and eastern white tails are smaller than mulies. I don't even like to take the Mini out at dusk for fear of one landing in my lap. Then again idiots on cell phones changing lanes can be just as bad. Good question. I'd take the cage on the twisties.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Twisties for me! Deer in Minnesota are a constant hazard....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Deer are more unpredictable than car and truck drivers in my opinion. Sometimes they stand almost frozen and other times they come bounding onto the road at full speed. Deer are harder to see than trucks and cars providing their lights are on.

Ride like you don't want to be dead is my motto and measure your risks. There are more cars and trucks than deer though...

:confused:

·
Registered
296 Posts
This is the classic "risk vs. reward" scenario that presents itself in such various guises as golf (do I hit a 3 wood over the pond to the green, or lay up and put it in the pond on the next shot) and cancer treatment (do I subject myself to chemo/radiation therapy that makes me miserable for 6 months to increase my chances of surviving for 3 years). There is no correct answer, there is only the correct answer for you (grasshopper).

Which did you do?

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
................ There is no correct answer, there is only the correct answer for you (grasshopper).

Which did you do?

.....he walked to his bike, tossed a coin, it landed on its edge, he thought about that, and took the bus home !

------------
Ride on ! :cool:

·
Registered
815 Posts
So, you take the sharp uphill turn that leads west over the peaks, then south and out to the interstate (after about 45 minutes) for the fast 1 hour + ride home, right? That way you get the long shortcut that give nice curves and fast highway leg too! :D

When I commuted daily down to the big city, that was often my shortcut home...

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Traveling the unbeaten path is always engulfed in succinct rewards. Following the heart is a matter of choice but sometimes it's quite obvious. My favor swings in faith of the unexpected, with a fulfillment of zealous thoughts of grandeur and swerving routes of delight. It touches the soul in ways that are unimaginable. It engages the spirit and satisfies the thirst of adventure. The inexplicable expectation of the next bend. The gentle sound of the wind rushing past the ears in unison with the rise and fall of the motor. The swaying too and fro as you guide your way. A symphony of motion and delight! It quenches the fervor and desire of our being. You fulfill destiny and choose the path. In the end, it's a memory of what was, not what could have been forever in the solace of our thought. If this small cognitive gesture of mindfulness, in some way brings you to a decision of consciousness, then let it be one of immeasurable engagement of the heart and soul.;)

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Moredechai, had I taken that route I'd have been more concerned about elk than mule deer.

Jeff, I thought I had decided to take the car route, but when I got to the turnoff, my subconscious said 'who are you kidding?' and off I went on deer patrol. For exactly the reasons you explained. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Give me the scenic route any day

I wish I had a scenic route to and from work. I would be on the bike every day. I travel 25 miles in 90 minutes each way in crazy, gun it and stop traffic and that is the quick route down I65, I40, and I24. I have two alternates that stretch that out to about 2 hours of peddling from stop light to stop light. Given the choice I would rather ride through 25 miles of rattlesnakes than 4 lanes of soccer moms on cell phones. Occasionally I work nights and I am on the bike then but otherwise it is just no fun.

Pops

·
Registered
45 Posts
both

Scenic route a little slower to avoid the damn deer. Although hunting season here started last week so I think most of them are hiding at this point.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts