Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On friday a friend and I rode to Tennesse-a little under 500 miles. We pull up at the hotel, I shut off the bike, try to restart about a half hour later, and nothing when I hit the button. Lights are still strong. He says sometimes heat buildup will make a starter freeze up, and it might start the next day. It didn't so we push started it and I headed back home. The following morning it started fine. Anyone else had this happen, know what causes it or how to prevent it? 05 T100. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I guess nobody else has seen starter malfunction related to heat buildup -must be something else- maybe electrical

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there...

I cannot answer your question "Anyone else had this happen, know what causes it or how to prevent it?" because I do not know about anyone else and I have not had it happen myself on a bike... But I'll offer the following to think about:
When you say "...and nothing when I hit the button" does that mean there was not even a click? No sound or anything? I'd suspect an ignition switch problem if that is the case.
If there is a click, even if the lights are bright I'd check connections everywhere beginning with the battery terminals.
As something to think about or try... if your starter clicks but does not engage and somehow it works fine later after a run... maybe... probably not but just MAYBE, the teeth on the starter gear lined up just right with the teeth on the mating gear and could not engage. If that happened then popping the bike in gear and rotating the engine by pushing the bike would allow it to engage differently .... Its probably pretty far fetched though but would take about 3.5 seconds to try it. Probably the top edges of those gears are rounded and make engagement a sure thing.. but anything its possible I guess.
I had a '67 Chevy pickup once with a weak battery that could turn the engine over easier when it was cold than when it was very hot. I guess engine clearances were less when hot. At lteast that is what someone told me at the time. Sometimes it could barely turn it over when hot. A new battery solved it for that truck. I don't know... that seems pretty far fetched too for your T100. Since you said it was turned off for a half hour then that is definitely enough time for things to cool down. But really I think these machines are built to tight enough specs that the 'hot engine, less clearance and harder to start thing' is probably invalid. I'd more suspect electrical connections or the starter switch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that helps -there was no click, so it must be a bad connection and the long ride etc. were not the cause. My friend had told me harley starters stick when hot sometimes and work when they cool down.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Could be a dead spot on the armature. Hit the starter sharply with a block of wood or a plastic hammer and if it starts up afterward, that's probably your problem. If it happens once, it will happen again and will get more frequent. If this is the problem, you need to get a new starter or get the armature re-wound.

I don't know anything about that "freezing" issue you're talking about.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
if it dont click at all its prob not the starter the starter solenoid is under the left side cover there are 2 big wires on it .one goes to the starter the other goes to the + battery cable if you jump thoes 2 the starter should turn .If not see if you got battery voltage to the one from the battery. allso check battery ground cable .If it turns over when jumped across the big wires .there is a smaller wire going to the solenoid jump that to the one coming from the battery if it dont turn over the solenoid is bad .If it dose turn over you need to check .kick stand switch ,clutch switch ,neutral switch and stater switch and wires.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
My 1200 trophy used to do this occassionally, was a problem in the nuetral sensing circuit (thought it was in gear) pull the clutch and off the starter would go.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i had starter problems, i thought, replaced the battery, the starter solenoid, still same problem, push the button nothing happens, or sometimes a click, then it would start, replaced the starter relay and all is well, it can be taken apart, clean the contacts with a emory board and it should start, new relay is only 12-15 bucks so replace it. hope this helps.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Check your fuses too. Mine wouldn't start last week, all the lights came on but nothing happened when pressed the starter. I pulled the fuse and it was all corroded. I cleaned the contacts and replaced all the fuses and coated them with dielectric grease, and all was good afterward. I didn't try bum-starting it, so I have no Idea if that would have worked. Fuses are a quick and easy check, and it's a good PM job to do anyway.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Also on a hot bike, it can be the sidestand down / ingear / neutral starter cutoff. I would check each of these things if it happens again; I learned to never trust a neutral light, never start in gear, so I always roll the bike with the clutch out to be sure I'm not in gear. All of these switches wear - check the easiest to get to ones first. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, some things to check out. Like I said, it seems to be starting OK now. Coldnight, why would the cut-off switches you mention be likely to go out "on a hot bike"?

·
Registered
495 Posts
thanks, some things to check out. Like I said, it seems to be starting OK now. Coldnight, why would the cut-off switches you mention be likely to go out "on a hot bike"?
Like everything else, they get hot, expand a tiny bit and sometimes mis-align... they are designed for heat-cycle duty, but if they are mis-lubricated at any time, it becomes a question. I had a VF500F that would indicate neutral in second now and then ( 23K on the bike at the time ) if I was parking, and it indicated N, I always let the clutch out slowly with the front brakes on very hard; if it was a false N, it would stall, safely.

The side-stand switches also stick IN, as they are exposed to road dirt and wet, very hard to keep clean if you don't visit them when checking the bike. If the switch plunger only travels 1/4" - the position of the sidestand with it in or out is nearly nothing; I often heel-tap the sidestand up, not depending on the spring and pivots (which are also dirty) to close the switch if the bike isn't clean.

I've also forgotten sidestands when I'm tired and the stall when you go into gear is much better than being unable to turn left... so I don't defeat the switches. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
My '05 Bonneville did the same thing the other day - I thought it may be a loose ground wire on the battery, but that was okay. It hasn't happened since, but you guys have given me some things to check on. Time to get a can of carb cleaner and go to work on some switches...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts