Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out on my CB today and had to fill up with gas, riding and braking upto the gas pumps I went into a 3.5 metre long front wheel skid. Quite weird, it was though I had ABS, the front-wheel gripped skidded, gripped skidded. I was braking with two-fingers and managed to save it although at one stage I thought I had lost it.

The noise of the brake gripping and releasing on the discs alarmed the gas station cashier and customers at the pumps.

It was sand that had been driven on from an adjacent gravel and sand road and it was all across the forecourt.

Bit of a laugh but it made me quite cautious for a good few kilometres after that when I hit my favourite set of twisties on a country road.

What did I learn from that ! Take heed of the threads on the subject of slippery gas station concrete forecourts when wet !

....and those have sand and grit on them !

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sand, gravel, and leaves... how do I hate thee :D

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
One constant in all of my 'saddle eating' moments....Diesel :arghh: :arghh:

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Losing the front-wheel is pretty rare, I've had the back-wheel go on me many times and is pretty much easily correctable but front wheel is definitely an enlightening experience.

My previous front-wheel skid was a side-ways movement on a tight bend which was sprinkled with wet-pine needles, my g/f was pillion and I still have the nail-marks in my side when she gripped harder.

With dirt bikes you lose both wheels all the time and it's part and parcel of dirt bike riding, the bike constantly moving under you, it's controlled but with road bikes I could do without it !

---------------
Ride on ! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts