Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently removed my front end to do some work. When I bolted everything back together, my front wheel was rubbing quite a bit on my front brake pads. I understand that a small amount of rubbing is normal, but this seems excessive. When I spin the wheel by hand, it only turns about 3/4 of the way around. I believe I aligned the front end perfectly when I put everything back together. Could this be anything else? Is it OK?

·
29,948 Posts
Now that you have posted this to its own thread, which is reasonable, can you stop posting it to other threads all over the forum?

OK, as I said in one of your other postings, a certain amount of wheel drag on the brake pads is normal. I have never been able to spin a bike wheel to a point where it will freewheel when the brake assembly is in place. It doesn't sound like anything is wrong.

When you push the bike around does it move OK? Are we talking a little drag, or is the brake really binding? The brake assembly can only be fitted one way, so there is really nothing to get out of place.

Double check everything, make sure it matches the manual and everything is tightened properly, and then go for a really slow test ride and see how it feels. You may find the drag drops off a bit after you have ridden the bike and applied the brake a few times.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Could be a caliper piston dragging slightly due to dirt or contamination of the brake fluid. Could be dirt / corrosion on the pins that the pads mount with. Take them (pad mounting pins) out and clean and polish the surface with super fine emory cloth or 000 steel wool. 3/4 turn sounds like too little if your giving it a good spin. Mine go about 2 revolutions before friction stops the rotor.

·
29,948 Posts
I just gave my own front wheel a spin - it goes between a half a turn and 1 turn depending on how hard I shove it. There's nothing wrong with my front, and the brake and wheel is all stock.

You may want to consider popping along to your dealer and testing the wheels on their bikes just to get comfortable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I just popped the caliper off again, used my air compressor to blow and dirt away, and reinstalled. I don't think it did anything, but it rotates about 1.5 full turns now, which seems to be fine. I'm not sure what was going on, but it is rotating much smoother now. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Could you have hit the brake leaver when the wheel was off and closed up the caliper just a bit? I would try to push the piston back in a bit and then re-install everything. You might have to loosen the brake resevoir so you don't pop the seals. Just a thought.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts