Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Replacing the front bearings, one is tapped home and the spacer dropped in. But the spacer sticks out a bit proud of the bottom surface of where the second bearing wants to sit, by a good 2mm. So if you tap that one home, the spacer will force then out the first bearing ... Anyone come across this??

Bearings are correct part number and indentical to the ones that came out (incidentally the spacer was rammed tight between them and the inner races wouldn't turn by hand till the brngs were extracted).

I can trim the space down but am reluctant to do that by hand because of innacuracy. But as it is, either one or both bearings will not sit fully in their recesses.
What I can't get my thick head around is if the spacer has any anti-crush function far as the bearings inner races go, or whether it's safe to trim it back.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good site there....

It's the "right" spacer in that it has the two cut-outs. All very strange. Guess I'll have to dry-build the front up without the spacer and see how it hangs together, and sacrifice one bearing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a dry build, minus spacer so the bearings seat right in far as they'll go. That leaves the front wheel with a bit of side-to-side along the spindle. Do up the spindle bolt and it pinches the legs inward, which spring out again when the bolt is loosened off.

So it seems like the spacer is right, but one or both bearing recesses are cut too deep... All a bit dodgy. Will have to work out which side is out, or if it's both, and shim either or both bearings a smidge. :confused:
Or trim the spacer, let the bearings sit flush, and add spacers o the outside of the bearings, prob the easier route.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Your obviously attaching the problem with the right sort of head on....but what a weird problem it is..?

A long shot..but could someone have swapped the rear spacer to the front..& vise versa, It's the only idea apart from different models or faulty machining that come to mind..?

I've just re read your post & realise that can't be the case..looks like shimming it out then..? still bloomin weird though !!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's got me a bit foxed! T'weren't right from the start, as I say the spacer was jammed so hard between the inners that they wouldn't turn by hand, till popped out. The bushes look spot on, no sign of uneven wear so I guess that means the stanchions weren't pinched and another sign the spacer is right and the recess(es) ain't.
Not sure how I'm going to work out spacers. Guess it depends which side/s are out... More fiddling tomorrow to suss that.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I think that I'd be inclined to put everything together on the axle minus the front wheel, that way you could see if any of the spacers are "off". Which wheel to you have, the 18" or the 17"?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did a few dry builds with wheel minus centre spacer, measuring up; the internal spacer wants trimming down, which I've done, and also I had to add a 1mm spacer to centralise the wheel, on the speedo drive. Used a bearing thrust washer. Far as I can tell it's close as a gnat's bumhair now. All a bit odd. Stanchions are new, sliders could be bent I suppose but the spindle slides in nicely and the fork bushes are absolutely even in their (very minimal) wear.

Latest annoyance is that Franks fork seals (triumph-online.co.uk) are the wrong size... too deep by 1mm so the spring clip can't go in to the groove. Sigh... Checked against Bike Bandit's schematic which shows the size. Very annoyed now, have to take the forks apart again.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's all back together, and seems OK so far though it's early days. Hands off it tracks straight and true. Had to go OEM for fork seals, couldn't find a bearing/seal supplier with 9.5mm deep ones.
Fair play to Frank, he's doing a refund.

I dropped the yokes down the stanchions a bit, see if it'd sharpen it up. Which it has, a little, but really wants the back raising a bit it feels like. Although the dog bones don't seem to be the easy-to-make variety so will look more into that later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts