Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some info on front tyre wear please. I have the original Michelin front tyre fitted and it is starting to noticeably scrub out on the R/H side (viewed from the rear). It is scalloping. I'm pretty sure it is the intermediate tyre recommended by Triumph in the handbook but it has only done approx 9500km of mainly road work. Dealer mechanic suggested it was from the camber of the road. Possible but I'm a bit cynical of this.
What sort of distance should I be expecting from it? Finally, what would be a good replacement ...... not fussed about brands just distance. Ooops can I mix and match tyres ie Brand X on front, Michelin on rear? :???:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On 2007-03-03 22:53, pomallon wrote:
can I mix and match tyres ie Brand X on front, Michelin on rear? :???:
NOT a good idea to mix tyres even from the same manufacturer.

as for the tyre wearing on one side, i would check the fork legs where they come through the yoke ( tripple tree ) they should stick through the same each side, or get the dealer to check the fork legs to make sure there`s no twist in them ( they can be twisted and not be bent ) hope this makes sense.

tyre type Clicky !!

KK :cool:

[ This message was edited by: KuzzinKenny on 2007-03-04 09:15 ]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Checked the forks as suggested but no variation in height.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Your dealer is right; tyres do tend to wear more on the offside edge due to the road camber. The scalloping could be caused by hard braking and/or front suspension. All my fromt tyres wear this way- scalloped and worn on the offside. Only exception was when most of my miles were on the motorway- flat surface and not much braking.

I think 9,500km is within the normal range of tyre wear, some people get more miles other less, there are loads of tyre threads to search. My general rule is the longer they last the less fun I have had out of them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for the info. It makes perfect sense but the only thing throwing me is that I would have expected to see a similar wear pattern on the rear tyre (in relation to road camber). The rear is in excellent condition and looks as though it could go another 10,000 km. I suppose with the difference in braking and suspension the front end loads up more as it dives.

Thanks also KK on the Battlewing info. Not sure if I can get them in Oz but looks like they might be the go!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
On 2007-03-06 20:49, pomallon wrote:

Thanks also KK on the Battlewing info. Not sure if I can get them in Oz but looks like they might be the go!

Cheers
i could only find this Clicky !! and this won`t be any good to you but i`m posting it anyway !! :razz: US Clicky !!

whatever tyre you get make sure its V rated ( V19 V17 ) and not H rated !!

have fun

KK :cool:

ps No i don`t work for them ( any jobs going ) :-D

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason the front tyre steps is because it is always resisting rotation as it's not being driven by the bike, so it always has drag on it from the road surface, particularly whilst cornering. This load gets higher under braking, but it never goes away until the bike stops. Hence it wears away the front face of the tread block faster.

The rear tyre only gets the same sort of drag on it when decelerating or braking, otherwise there's positive drive on it, even running at a constant speed. That helps even up the wear on the tread blocks when compared with a front tyre.

Then of course I might be talking cobblers.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any views on Pirelli MT90 Scorpions? They have been suggested to me as a replacement for the Michelin Anakees. Can't get the BS Battlewings in Oz yet. :???:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
On 2007-03-09 00:16, pomallon wrote:
Any views on Pirelli MT90 Scorpions? They have been suggested to me as a replacement for the Michelin Anakees. Can't get the BS Battlewings in Oz yet. :???:
In my '02 handbook the MT90 is the alternative fitment to the Tourances that came on it new. Don't know what they're like though.
Tourances are still a bloody good tyre. You could do worse.

As for front wear....I get around 12000 out of a Tourance front.

[ This message was edited by: blacktiger on 2007-03-15 12:58 ]

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't know about the MT-90 but the Scorpion Sync is excellent. Not a true dual-sport tire; more of a dual-sport "looking" tire. Feels more like a Diablo.

·
Registered
401 Posts
reviving this thread a little... My 06 is scalloping like this also. 8500 miles
Are the tigers harder on tires than the other models?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure it would be just the Tigers with these tyres. I'm guessing they are using a softer compound as they are dual purpose.

When I went to the tyre place to check out alternates the guy there (30 years experience with bikes) said that 10 to 12000 kms was OK but wear depends a lot on your riding style. He also pointed out that I could eke out another 2000km with what I had left on the front (still no problem on the rear).

I was getting all paranoid about the tread height at the rear of the lug which is getting quite low. The front of the lug is still over the 2-3 mm that Triumph recommend for changeover. Funnily enough the wear indicators are well below the Triumph recommended height too so if you go by them I reckon I can get a few more kms yet.

I'll definitely be changing to the Scorpion MT90s though.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wonder if the psi/kpi has any affect on this. I Know on car tires once a pattern is worn into the tires it's difficult to reverse.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Under or over inflation will give different tread wear patterns to this. Over inflation will show all round as wear in the centre of the tread at its highest point. Under will show as wear on the outside edges of the tread (not on the wall of the tyre).

I'd tend to agree that it's a combination of road camber (to a small extent) and braking (for the majority of the wear).

Still I have been more vigilant about tyre pressures since noticing the wear occurring and have gotten into the habit of checking once a week. Quite surprised at how the pressure drops (3-6 psi) in such a relatively short time.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On 2007-04-05 05:52, pomallon wrote:
Quite surprised at how the pressure drops (3-6 psi) in such a relatively short time.
Just one of the reasons I sealed my spokes and went to tubeless. Still no drop in pressure after 3 months......

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had Avon Distanzias on the bike when I got it, didn't give me any grief apart from squaring off. Grip was good, wet and dry, wear seemed fine.

Swapped them for Continental Road Attacks for a pure road bias tyre, which are great, 3.5k on them and all I've done is wear the 'Roadattack' logo off them.

Wanted them for pure road based touring and some fun horsing around, and they're doing the job.

I'm thinking of going back to the Distanzias after the summer because they seemed a little more composed over cobbles and broken surfaces that are my route to work. About as close to off road as I get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Pomallon,
I am about to change tyres and was thinking of trying the Anakees (I currently have Avon Distanzias). How did you find them on road and dirt?
Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Austiger,

Most of my riding is road (95%) and I have found them to be excellent in that respect other than my concern with wear. However as they deteriorate they are offering a bit more of a challenge when cornering :razz: The wear rate is why I'll be changing to the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90's in the next few weeks to see if they are any better.

The Anakees were very good on the dirt also but definitely aren't meant for rugged off road stuff, more the formed gravel road. Others in this forum would be able to give you a better informed opinion in that respect I'd think.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Anakees are good, all-round tires. They're not made for knee-dragging around a track, but they're solid on streets and highways. They're very good on wet surfaces, and rough surfaces. They hold well on sweeping curves, and they give you a stable, less attention-requiring ride than performance tires.

They're good for dirt roads, but after a few thousand miles wear, the front starts loosing grip on unimproved surfaces - so watch out. They'll fool you into thinking they might be off-road tires, but only when new. Wear a little rubber, and you'll have no doubt that they are street tires. I think the 'dual purpose' claim is a pretention, but the Tiger is too heavy for sand or loose gravel, anyway. With a little care, you'll have no problem handling dirt roads, as I do almost every day... Not trying to win any races, though.

Rear tire will last 8-10 thousand miles; I pushed mine to 10, which was a bit much. The front will last longer, and (in fact) I've ran mine for over 13 thousand. Changing it now, but I should have done it sooner. It still appears to have a lot of tread, which is frustrating, but it hasn't held well since 12+.

I'd go to pure road tires, if it wasn't for some of the roads I have to travel. Anakees are a bit expensive, and I would like better wear, but to tell the truth, I'm a little cautious about experimenting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts