Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, as there are precious few 110/80X18 radial front tires out there that are also built in the 150/80X16 radial rear size, it appears many of you have substituted either a 100/90x18 (Denny) or a 110/90x18.

I'm trying to stay with radials, and don't want to mix brands/models front to rear. Which of those two sizes is closest to the 110/80 in overall diameter, and what comments as to how each affects steering feel.

Thanks, Ken

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that worked like a champ! Compared to the 110/80, the

100/90 turns .8% slower, the

110/90 turns 3.4% slower.

Clearly, the od of the 100/90 is way closer to original.

Thanks Geoff!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is there a current matched set of v rated radials for our old T-birds.?
Interestingly enough, even when checking using both of the above alternate sizes, no. None that I could find anyway.

The best match I could find in radials are in the correct stock sizes, both from Avon, but using a front 110/80x18 Storm 2 Ultra, and a 150/80x16 AV45 Azaro rear. At least they are both radials of the same brand. Even then, you end up with a W rated front, and a Z rated rear. (Not that any of us, at least in the US, is at any risk of out-driving a W rated tire)

In bias ply, the Bridgestone BT45s are available in the correct stock sizes as well. They cost a lot less too.

So my thinking here is if you own one of these bikes with the 18" front wheel and the 16" rear wheel and you want to continue to use radials, i'd buy two of those rear AV45s now, before they're phased out too. Keep in mind though that tires should be discarded 7 years after build date....

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Tires

Hi,

Here is a tyre size calculator, so that you can compare: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

HTH?
Geoff
Thanks for posting that Geoffe:),I'm looking at buying tires also and am thinking of going to a 150 80 16 instead of the 160 80 16 that I have now.Anyone went from the 160 to the 150? comments would be greatly appretiated .Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts