Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to change front tire on my '01 Legend and need to know what I'm getting into. I've got all the tools to do the job, including two tire irons (if I want to try to replace the old tire myself. Is it hard job to change it out myself? I have spoked wheels and the exactly same tire to exchange. I've got the Haynes manual to guide me. Can I static balance the wheel on the motorcycle before re-installing the brake caliper? Should I just take the wheel and new tire to a shop for mounting and balancing? Any tricks I need to know?

Anyone ever use ceramic beads placed inside the tube for dynamic balancing and if so was it satisfactory?

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.html

Thanks, Robin

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took my bike into a local shop to have the tires done. New tubes and Front and rear tire all at the same time. I may be over cautious but I have always been of the opinion that they should be done as a set. Tires on my car.... not so important to me. Tires on my bike at 70+ on the highway from work sure are.
If you know how I am sure it is a fine DIY project. I just don't have the tools or knowledge.
John

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you must do it yourself, get an old car tyre to put your wheel on as you do the changing. Will stop a lot of damage. Prolly be OK to balance it with the caliper on, dont tighten the axle until its balnced. It may not spin freely enough even with it loose. The wheelbearings have seals in them, which will cause resistance to spin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts