Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The front tire was on the bike when I bought it, when I needed a new rear tire, I was looking at the front to match it, as the front has plenty of tread left. I noticed that the "front >" on the tire was pointing to the back. I meant to ask the dealer, but forgot while I was there. Today I looked at both, the front tread pattern does seem to be reversed from the rear. ***? They put arrows on them and someone still screwed it up?

Front of bike is to the right in the first pic.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
If you rotate the tyre so the marking is at the top it will point to the front :)

The marker is showing the direction of rotation if the tyre is to be used on the front.

Tread patterns usually are reversed front to back. The primary stress on the rear is from acceleration, on the front from braking. The tread is usually made to resist the deformation from that stress.

The arrow looks right to me.

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you rotate the tyre so the marking is at the top it will point to the front :)

The marker is showing the direction of rotation if the tyre is to be used on the front.

Tread patterns usually are reversed front to back. The primary stress on the rear is from acceleration, on the front from braking. The tread is usually made to resist the deformation from that stress.

Thanks much. :)

·
Registered
759 Posts

+1 what he said,

This comes up a lot because you are correct - the tread patterns appear to be around the opposite ways front:rear, but as jonkster says the two tyres are subjected to opposite forces hence the opposite tread pattern orientation.

P.S. - Its advisable to put a cap on the valve. A good fitting cap assists the valve to hold pressure and reduces leakage.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Looking at the tread patern I say yes its on backwards as that tyre is ecatly as when I see them from the rear .. the arow should point to the front. With out you having to read upside down....SO YES ITS ON BACKWARDS

·
Registered
335 Posts
I am with jonkster. The Bridgestone BT-021s on my new GT have slightly different markings, but Front indicates it must be mounted only as a front tire. The arrows are for tire rotation when riding. If you go only in reverse, put 'em on the other way.

For normal riding it is on correctly.

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

<...>
This is correct; the tire is mounted properly.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Banned
70 Posts
And hey if you still arnt sure you can use this cool thing called google and it wil tell you the corect way lololol. I would post a link to "let me google that for you.com" but I can't do that via my phone lolololololol

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
One more point nobody's mentioned yet: when in doubt, look to see if the arrow on the tire matches the arrow on the wheel. The 3-spoke Brembos on our 955s have a directional arrow on one of the spokes.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You see you want the tip of the arow in the tread patern to hit the road first then to sweep wider to remove any water on the road
I used to think that, then found out I was wrong. Go by the arrows, not the tread pattern.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I went through this when I first started using those Road Attacks. Continental reversed the tread pattern on the front tire back in 06/07 to increase wear and reduce cupping. If you google conti road attack backwards you will get a bunch of hits explaining this. You're tire is mounted correctly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts