Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've done lots of reading on the past postsbut haven't managed to fully answer my question so i'm going to put it to you (helpful) lot.

I'vebeen playing around with my suspension since i got the bike (99 955 st)as the previous owneer has to waaaay too soft.

I've got the rear working fine just with gradual tweaking, but the front i can't get right. I know i should try setting sag etc but trying to pin someone down to give me a hand ain't easy.

My problem is having the bike soft enough to soak up bumps means it dives on the brakes and runs wide, needing it to be muscled round the corners.

So i wound down the pre-load and at the point where it cornered lovely and it kept bouncing off bumps as opposed to soaking them up. Not fun when your mid corner and the roads here are ****e.

SO! I've been looking into some sonic springs and using the calculator i came out with the following:

Calculated Spring Rate: 0.95kg/mm
For Rider Weight = 235 lbs. (16 stone with all gear on)
Bike Weight = 490 lbs.
Bike Type = Standard or Sport Touring
Riding Style = Normal Street
Tank Bag = No

i'm prob half way between aggressive and normal in riding style, now should i go for some 0.95's or 0.90 springs as i've read a few people who have said go for one lower than it says?

Cheers

Dean

·
Registered
509 Posts
There is room to play within that range of spring. At your weight, I would probably go with the 0.95 spring. It if proves a little too harsh you can always take down the preload spacer a bit. Cut it back 10mm at a time till the sag is where you want it or the ride stops improving.

I'm 185 lbs and plan on the 0.85 spring for my front end.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
quik_d

I am not an expert on this but I am a similar weight to you and suspension experts have recommended for me a 1.0 spring.

Sorry if that adds to the confusion but I thought I had better mention it.:)

cheers
DaveM

·
Registered
764 Posts
Make sure that you are using the weight of your bike all oiled up, with fuel and battery. Usually adds around 50- 60lb to the dry weight.

I have to agree with Dave on this one, a set of 1.0kg/mm springs would be better suited to you.

While you're at it, change the fork oil to 15W (I know OND 15W for one brand is not the same as 15W for another).

This combination will work much much better than stock, take my word for it.;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure that you are using the weight of your bike all oiled up, with fuel and battery. Usually adds around 50- 60lb to the dry weight.

I have to agree with Dave on this one, a set of 1.0kg/mm springs would be better suited to you.

While you're at it, change the fork oil to 15W (I know OND 15W for one brand is not the same as 15W for another).

This combination will work much much better than stock, take my word for it.;)
I read somewhere that the 955 is 460lbs so i roughtly calculated to fluids to be about 30lbs. Maybe my figures were a bit off, maths was never my strong point

1 - 5 of 5 Posts