Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All...

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm currently on the Sprint ST forum but am considering picking up a Bonnie this year. Can anyone tell me what differences in ride handling are between the T-100's 19" front rim and the 17" front rim of the regular Bonnie? Thanks ahead.

Jess

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Hey Soda,
Those changes are new for 2009 when the new Bonnie came out. The Thruxton vs. the Regular Bonnie might be a bit of a comparison because they have different rim sizes.

I went from a 2005 Sprint ST to the Bonnie with the 19 front 17 rear and its just so hard to compare the two handling wise. The Sprint I can get my knee down on and it was fantastic but the Bonnie is just so much fun to ride.

The Thruxton's on the other hand have or had? their own racing series and there are plenty of folks who have Thruxtons set up just for racing and they seem to handle like magic.

Keep reading because others will chime in who know better than me.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hi. I went from a Bonnie to a ST then back to a Bonnie. I find the Bonnie to be a easier bike to hang off and have more fun on in the twisties. The Sprint is alot faster but was just missing the character of the Bonnie. The 19" wheel is there more for cosmetic links to the past than anything I think. It may slow down the steering a little, but I sped it back up by fitting longer rear shocks and raising the forks in the clamps. You can make the Bonnie what you want, slow and steady or a nimble cafe racer.
;)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My only complaint about the wheels on my T100 (19" front, 17" rear) is the weight of the steel rims and the difficulty in finding good choices of sporty rubber for the front wheel. If I can ever save up the scratch, I'd love to get an 18" alloy for the front along with a 17" alloy rear. This would allow me several more nice choices of tires than I now have and cut down unsprung weight in the bargain.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My only complaint about the wheels on my T100 (19" front, 17" rear) is the weight of the steel rims and the difficulty in finding good choices of sporty rubber for the front wheel. If I can ever save up the scratch, I'd love to get an 18" alloy for the front along with a 17" alloy rear. This would allow me several more nice choices of tires than I now have and cut down unsprung weight in the bargain.
I never thought about the weight factor being a bigger sized rim nor being able to have more tire choices with the smaller rim. I wasn't trying to compare differences between my Sprint ST and the Bonnie. I'm trying to decide which Bonnie to buy. I'd like to know really the difference in handling between the 19" on the T-100 and the 17" on the regular Bonnie. Maybe it is just aesthetics. Just what looks good I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
I never thought about the weight factor being a bigger sized rim nor being able to have more tire choices with the smaller rim. I wasn't trying to compare differences between my Sprint ST and the Bonnie. I'm trying to decide which Bonnie to buy. I'd like to know really the difference in handling between the 19" on the T-100 and the 17" on the regular Bonnie. Maybe it is just aesthetics. Just what looks good I guess.
The smaller wheel will turn in quicker.

Most people wouldn't notice the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts