Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about front fork upgrade options.....

I've considered Ricor emulators, Free Spirits fork kit and Bitubo Cartrige kit.... With new springs or with stock.... Obviously there is quite the price difference in these options but I'd like to hear what you all have to say from experience. Pros, cons, pluses, minuses... .?? Or are there other options I'm missing???

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I have significantly improved the front end of my Thruxton. I have played around with different combinations. I am using Ricor centre drilled intiminators, race tech linear springs, 5w fork oil, mid range preload, fork brace and damper. I doubt I will change much more. There are more expensive options which probably provide better performance but for the money, my riding style and and the conditions of my local roads I am happy. At the end of the day, the Thruxton is a compromise between style, price and performance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx Aussiematt,

I already have a fork brace and a damper... I could be partially there!

Maybe intimidators and springs is the more affordable route?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mils....

I am looking at replacing the rear shocks at the same time, but I have a idea of which brand I'm gonna go with on that.... But I'm always open to suggestions.... I think I'll replace both front and back at the same time.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
Mils....

I am looking at replacing the rear shocks at the same time, but I have a idea of which brand I'm gonna go with on that.... But I'm always open to suggestions.... I think I'll replace both front and back at the same time.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
Knowing your budget would help. Replacement rear shocks range from $80 for the TEC units to more than $400 for such things as IKON 7614's.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Options

I suggest the Ricor intimators, with reccomended oil and standard springs. Other springs can be added if you are not happy, oil etc can be adjusted as well as pre load without too much difficulty(i.e. strip down). Rear shocks as forchetto said moons the baloon.
I run Ikons and am very happy. I went the steel route as cheaper. You can spend a fortune on suspension but you are never going to have a duke, KTM etc. Set up is the most important aspect

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forchetto:
I can spend up to $1000.00 , give or take, for the front and back suspension. But of course, I want the best bang for my buck.

Askari:
I'll look into the Ricors a bit more... And I did research the Ikons a bit... Are there any issuers with the all-aluminum body's/threads? 3 way adjustments?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I suggest the Ricor intimators, with reccomended oil and standard springs. Other springs can be added if you are not happy, oil etc can be adjusted as well as pre load without too much difficulty(i.e. strip down).
Agreed on that, depending on your weight/riding style you may find the Ricors alone give you what you want, I could possibly do with slightly stiffer springs but its not an absolute must and I'm about 200lb. I have a slightly small air gap as the only value I had to work from was for Bonneville and I didn't appreciate that the deeper, preload adjustable Thruxton caps displace more of this gap so the Thruxton level should be 20mm (from memory) larger, I've not had any trouble with oil seals, they have been in just over a year.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
+1 (or 2 or 3) on the Intiminators. My goal was simple - wanted it to RIDE (emphasis here on compliance) and handle better, and rid myself of the pogo stick feel, especially with the (often horrible) road surfaces around these parts. I used the stock springs, the recommended Amsoil, and spacers maybe 1/4" longer than the cut-down in the instructions. The spacers are really trick custom unobtanium PVC from Home Depot. Very, very happy the way they panned out. :cool:

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Front Forks

Hi There All

I am about to fit Biturbos to my 2012 Scrambler - Remote Res Ohlins have already made a huge difference on the back.

I am used to sport bikes and love the corners so am trying to keep the great Scrambler look but with real cornering potential (I have also fitted a billet 6 front caliper so the forks could do with some assistance I reckon.

Will report when the job is done....hope its good as those bad boys were expensive.

Cheers

Wylie

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
i was very pleased with the bitubo WME shocks a comfortable ride and good handling and quality construction, they are a DeCarbon shock and rebuildable, i got mine from herdan.com here in the USA at a fair price

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Custom!

Forchetto:
I can spend up to $1000.00 , give or take, for the front and back suspension. But of course, I want the best bang for my buck.

Askari:
I'll look into the Ricors a bit more... And I did research the Ikons a bit... Are there any issuers with the all-aluminum body's/threads? 3 way adjustments?

Have no experience with the alloy. But IKON will use steel and aluminium mix if you want, so you can have a composite. As they are fully rebuiladle if you did have an issue then you could replace the stuffed bit. Lots of other manufacturers both OEM and no use alloy so i imagine if you keep it clean shouldnt be an issue. e.mail them they are pretty approachable to give you info. They changed the spring for me as i was pretty heavy, shouldnt have lost that weight over the last 6 months!!!!:D

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I will say, the CBR F3/Triumph franken fork can be done with new traxxion or race tech springs for around four hundred bucks with clip ons and four or so hours of labor, it nets you an adjustable Showa cartridge fork.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I used IKON progressive fork springs (no preload spacers) with the factory recommended amount of 10wt fork oil. I paired this with IKON 7614s and have been pleased with the results. However, I am a heavier rider (230lbs) and the IKON springs (like their Koni ancestors) are provided a little on the stiff side. If you weigh less than 180 lbs you may wish for lighter springs...

·
Registered
168 Posts
i`m 145lbs no gear race tech 85kg springs race tech emulators with blue springs with 2 turns of preload and i drilled out a 3rd bleed hole (drilling a 3rd hole makes a big difference in plushness on small sharp hits)10 weight oil, in back aluminium ikon 7614 thruxton length with correct sag ,#222 springs # 2 rebound setting . i have exel 17 x 3.3 front and 4.25 rear which are lighter than the bonnie steel with bt45`s . bike handles real well concidering its by no means a modern bike by todays standards , a blast to ride even on the bad condition roads we have around santa barbara county and beyond

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
i`m 145lbs no gear race tech 85kg springs race tech emulators with blue springs with 2 turns of preload and i drilled out a 3rd bleed hole (drilling a 3rd hole makes a big difference in plushness on small sharp hits)10 weight oil, in back aluminium ikon 7614 thruxton length with correct sag ,#222 springs # 2 rebound setting . i have exel 17 x 3.3 front and 4.25 rear which are lighter than the bonnie steel with bt45`s . bike handles real well concidering its by no means a modern bike by todays standards , a blast to ride even on the bad condition roads we have around santa barbara county and beyond
Nice setup...

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I did the YSS emulators with 10wt oil and YSS piggy back rear shocks for my wife's Thrux but she is only 50 kg ringing wet.

I went with Bitubo Matris cartridges in my Thruxton and Gazi piggy backs on the rear. I am 100 kg fully dressed.

The cartridges were such a major improvement and worth the $600 AUD IMO

The emulators were not enough for me (my weight) but I ride pretty hard and wanted the compliance in corners without the dive in braking.

As a matter of interest the bitubo cartridges came with (red) automatic transmission fluid not fork oil.

I bought Bonneville YSS shocks for my wife's Thruxton because I needed to lower it. I got them from Ebay for a bargain ($200) so that was the decider for those. At $1300 AUD I wouldn't entertaining paying full price!!

http://www.suspensionshop.org/VIEW.p...del#searchview

The Gazis came on my bike and are the adjustable height model as mine is also lowered a bit. So from memory they are the 340mm ones

http://www.gazisuspension.com/shock-...-lite-hl400300

They are both easy to set up and adjust. I think that the YSS look a better quality but both are great at doing the job especially compared to standard

Report this image

Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts