Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am re fitting my front fender and have no torque settings to work with. I have placed rubber grommets between the support braces and the fender and done everything tight. I have not leant on the wrench or anything.
Can you guys recommend any torque settings.
I wouldn't normally bother, but I want to avoid something coming loose and jamming in the front wheel

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
The "stay" bolts with the nylon washers for the mudguard to the braces is 9 Nm. The braces to the folks is 24 Nm.

That is for Bonne, T100 & Thrux. America and Speedmaster are different.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
The "stay" bolts with the nylon washers for the mudguard to the braces is 9 Nm. The braces to the folks is 24 Nm.

That is for Bonne, T100 & Thrux. America and Speedmaster are different.
But he's also up against a rubber grommet, would a torque setting even apply?

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
Good point. But I took the values straight out of the Triumph manual. Even if there is a washer, bushing or sleeve torque values apply. Torque is torque. Compression is compression. Engineers have established a torque value for the object. So that's what I gave him.
Me personally, I am a by the tech manaul kind of guy but for those items I would just tighten them up to a nice feeling of tightness. Elbow torque wrench value. :) But he asked so I looked it up.

·
Super Moderator
1,621 Posts
The actual grommet is nylon not rubber but I figured that is what he meant. Now that I re-read his post it sounds like he replaced the nylon with rubber - That does throw a factor in there that is not engineered. Is the rubber the same consistency of the OEM nylon? Is the rubber a thickness variance of the OEM nylon.....? Was the rubber cold causing a density change? Lot's of factors to take into account. o_O:rolleyes:

Snug up and go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the invaluable help everyone. I searched everywhere.
I will replace the runner with the plastic grommets and torque up to spec. I love the elbow torque wrench, but I doubt my work too much and quadruple check everything. Damn my OCD 😏

1 - 7 of 7 Posts