Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

I am still debating on which way I will go with my wheels. I do know the stock rims and spokes are history at the 1st tire change. I'm either going to keep a 19" front (Sun Alloy) and do an 18" rear (again Sun), or I may do the Alpina thing. The price difference isn't so pronounced that I may go either way. The rub with the Alpina wheels is that currently only an 18" front is available, which may be a good thing...

If I do go with an 18" front will that work with my long front fender or will I need a shorter sports fender? In other words will a smaller diameter wheel have an unsightly gap between the tire and fender?

If I do get a bobbed front fender is there 18" and 19" specific short fenders? ie... one for Bonnie and one for the Thrux?

Last question. If I do use a Thruxton front will I need Thruxton specific lower fork legs or will the Bonneville's lower fork legs work.

I'm beginning to learn what it means "That you can't just change one thing". Hence I'm trying to make a plan now and then execute it correctly the first time.

Thanks in advance,

Joel

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sweet,

Thanks for the response.

With an 18" I could go with a 140/70 x 18 Sport Demon. Fill-up the rear fender a little more and not as much sidewall flex as 140/80 x 17, which I probably put on the Alpina wheels. dkreidel has an 18" rear on this bike and I like the way it looks.

I also like the idea of "Plug and Play" as you say. I get a flat, I plug the tire and ride on... Fix it properly at the destination. That's were the Alpina's come in. I like spokes, I like tubeless, and I like black rims... I'm not excited about a plastic Thruxton front fender, but I'm pretty sure I'll get over it.

Like I mentioned earlier. Trying to come up with a plan before I start committing funds.

Ps. On a side note I'm heading to an I.T. conference mid-May, in Austin. Any recommendations on where to rent a bike for a week? Doesn't have to be a Triumph.

Thanks again,

Joel

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
18" front

Joel,

This is not as simple as it sounds. I put an 18" rim on the front of my Scrambler and the gap was awful looking. The problem with the 19" front ends like the Scrambler and Bonneville, is that the mudguard brace plate lugs are 1/2" further up the fork legs than the 18" Thruxton. It doesn't sound much, but it makes a big difference to how the mudguard will look. Here's a picture of my Scrambler front end (on the left, with 18" plain alloy rim, later changed to a Thruxton anodised. long story) beside my friend's Thruxton front end:

You can see the difference between the two types of fork leg. Here's a recent picture I pulled from the Bonneville pictures thread, which shows the Bonnie mudguard brace plate lugs are in the same place as the Scrambler:

In other words, you're going to have trouble making your Bonneville guard look right on an 18" wheel. I had to mount the Scram's mudguard blade underneath the brace plate, to get it looking anywhere near right. I'm not delighted with it, but it'll do for now:

Oh, another thing, you'll need the Thruxton speedo drive gear too. I couldn't find a used one, had to cough up over £90 for a new one from Triumph :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnyc,

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I had read one of you earlier posts and it kind of eluded to the gap issue. Might be time to check the salvage yards to look for some Thruxton fork ends. I have a bunch of time, but looks more like Sun alloy rims with inner tubes... and that's OK too.

Is Jenks Bolts still working on tubeless rims?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Johnyc,

Thanks. I was afraid of that. I had read one of you earlier posts and it kind of eluded to the gap issue. Might be time to check the salvage yards to look for some Thruxton fork ends. I have a bunch of time, but looks more like Sun alloy rims with inner tubes... and that's OK too.

Is Jenks Bolts still working on tubeless rims?
I'm so happy with the polished Suns (19" front, 18" rear) on my SoCal 07 that I'm doing exactly what I said I wouldn't: modify the 50th Anniv 2009 Bonnie and put the Suns on it too. It's only money, and it looks sooo much better and saves 8# of unsprung weight!
Good thing my other 07 is buried under 7' of snow in Montana :>)

Dick

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I fitted an 18" Thruxton front wheel to my T100 back in the summer and I can't say my eye was drawn then to notice that there is now a larger gap between the tyre and the mudguard. I've still got the original full mudguard fitted so maybe it is more noticeable with the short mudguard the Scrambler has. I had a good look at the bike today, and unless you crouch down so that you are looking at the wheel straight on, I don't think the gap is anything to write home about. It certainly hasn't made me want to start looking around for Thruxton lower fork legs. If you want to pursue this let me know and I'll take and post a photo so you can make up your own mind.

The real fly in the ointment for me, after buying the complete wheel on eBay for a reasonable price, was having to pay £69 (+tax) for the Thruxton speedo drive so that the speedo didn't become even more inaccurate than it already is. The part you need is T2001161 (ASSY, SPEEDO DRIVE/SLEEVE), it's on BikeBandit's site as (their) part #5567678-001 at $104.08 (+tax). For some reason if you order the speedo drive without the sleeve you pay more for it ($140.62 on BikeBandit) and an additional $11.95 for the sleeve (but you can re-use the sleeve from your Bonneville speedo drive) so beware of that "gotcha".

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Ps. On a side note I'm heading to an I.T. conference mid-May, in Austin. Any recommendations on where to rent a bike for a week? Doesn't have to be a Triumph.

Thanks again,

Joel
Cowboy Harley rents HDs (I don't know of anything for rent other than Harleys):

http://www.cowboyharleyaustin.com/miscpage_005.asp

lots of great rides in the area, both around town and farther out depending on how much time you have to spare.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It certainly hasn't made me want to start looking around for Thruxton lower fork legs. If you want to pursue this let me know and I'll take and post a photo so you can make up your own mind.
Yep. I was hoping it should work with the long fender as you mentioned. If you get the time a picture would be appreciated.

Cowboy Harley rents HDs (I don't know of anything for rent other than Harleys):

http://www.cowboyharleyaustin.com/miscpage_005.asp

lots of great rides in the area, both around town and farther out depending on how much time you have to spare.
Thanks. I'll have the Pirate costume out regardless. Scored Jimmy Buffett tickets yesterday! Actually, I'm not a Harley hater. I especially like Skirtsters... I mean Sportsters...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Here's a photo. To be honest, I think it exaggerates the gap and I hadn't given it any thought until this thread brought it up. I don't notice it when looking at the bike from a normal standing position but I guess I'm going to be constantly looking for it now!!! If I looked at getting Thruxton lower fork legs I wouldn't be able to use the original full mudguard anyway as they don't have the lugs for the mudguard stays. I have considered getting a short aluminium mudguard from here - www.thetankshop.com and I could ask the guy who makes them if it would be possible to position the mounting points on the guard so it sits lower.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If I do go with an 18" front will that work with my long front fender or will I need a shorter sports fender? In other words will a smaller diameter wheel have an unsightly gap between the tire and fender?
Joel
You're right, the gap will be too big.

Hell, I wasn't happy with the gap between the stock Thruxton fender and tyre, so I've replaced it with the fender supplied by the Tank Shop in Scotland. The gap has been halved with the alloy fender, so looks much better IMO.
Here's my before and after shots:

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Heres a T100 I built using thruxton fork lowers, 320 mm full floating rotor and thrux fender and mount. I nice upgrade for bonnie owners wanting to reduce the gap at the fender and improve braking. The gap is about 1/2 of stock. My cost was nothing as I traded with a thruxton owner wanting a full bonneville fender on his bike so we swapped parts. Lots of people looking to do stuff like this, so I find swapping is easy.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hey Thrux-ton-up,

I get the rotor, but what did you do to lower that fender?
This is a 19 inch front wheel with parts designed for the Thrux's 18" front wheel - not really what you need - but thrown out there for bonnie owners wanting a bobbed fender, less clearance between the tire and better braking too. I put a 17" wheel on my thrux and custom made some mounts to lower the fender - used 1/8 aluminum. I put a 18" front wheel on my Bonnie Black and used a MAS alloy front fender which worked great.

18 Rim, thrux lowers and 320mm floating rotor with MAS fender- not real close as this fender goes on a bonnie or thrux.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Guys. Can you tell me what tyre pressures you are using? I have a 170/16 on the rear and a 120/18 on the front of my Scrambler. Havent got a clue what air to put in them at the moment. Any help appreciated
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts