Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: In the past few weeks I have noticed a front end wobble at decelerating speeds arouund 35 - 40 mph with my hands off bars . It has a pretty good shake to it , but I do not notice with My hands on the bars. I know I am going to get the smart ace remarks of well dont take your hands off bars , with that being said I do notice it with one hand on? trying to locate what problem maybe without having to take it into shop. I am sure that lots of us have experienced this. Any clues to help helps.

ciao
adam

·
Registered
666 Posts
Most likely, is front tire cupping has happened, as the cause. Usually noticed between 40-50MPH, after 3,000 to 4,000 miles of wear. Happened to my original factory 'stones, and the Dunlop 404. Metzlers I had were OK for cupping but wore down too soon for me.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Mine did the same thing after some cupping of the front tire. IMHO, when this happens, it is time to order some new tires even though the front looks like it has a few thousand miles of rubber left.:(

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have the exact same problem, original Metzeler on the front with close on 10,000 miles (16,000k). Only became apparent in the last 1,000k or so.

The front tyre is about to be changed in the next couple of days to match the new rear (Dunlop GT501) so I'll soon see if it was the tyre or not.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't have this problem on any of my bikes (yet), but nearly every motorcyle I've owned in the last 40+ years will do this when the front tire becomes abnormally worn - cupped and otherwise. Some bikes are more susceptible than others - my BSA Goldstar for example, and others less so - one of my '66 Bonnies has never done it.

Change the tire...

Dick

·
Registered
616 Posts
:confused: In the past few weeks I have noticed a front end wobble at decelerating speeds arouund 35 - 40 mph with my hands off bars . It has a pretty good shake to it , but I do not notice with My hands on the bars. I know I am going to get the smart ace remarks of well dont take your hands off bars , with that being said I do notice it with one hand on? trying to locate what problem maybe without having to take it into shop. I am sure that lots of us have experienced this. Any clues to help helps.

ciao
adam
I had the same problem -- turned out to be an out of true wheel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Steering head bearing adjustment

Another possible cause is the steering head bearings are out of adjustment.
+1 on this idea. If they are too tight, at about 35 mph or so, the bike will go into a slow side-to-side "weave" on the road.
Too loose, and the front end will feel vague, and won't hold a line well.
REALLY too loose and you'll actually be able to check it by the method described in the Haynes manual: Put it on the center stand, and, with the front wheel off the ground, grab a fork leg and try to move it backwards and forwards to feel any "play" in the bearing.
NOTE: Simply eliminating the felt "play" as this describes does NOT have the pre-load on the bearing tight enough.
I've always used (with excellent results on over 100 motorcycles of various styles and brands) the "feel" method of setting the pre-load:
With the front wheel elevated, it should "flop" freely to either side, absent any stiff cables, handlebar mounted accessories, etc. interfering with this.
In this mode you can also check for the detent "notch" feeling as you slowly pass the handlebars through the straight ahead position.
If you DO feel much of a notch, the only fix is to replace the headset bearings AND races, as running them too loose has allowed a vertical groove to be hammered into the races.
If that's OK, experimentally tighten the preload to the point where you can actually feel some increased resistance in moving the handlebars.
Now back the pre-load off until there is no increased resistance, lock it down and ride the darned thing!
Again, to check for excessive pre-load, watch for the "weave" at about 35 mph or so.
Enjoy!
Bob

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
+1 on bmwbob,
It's good to hear of old-school mechanics methods. Often the over technical methods can just confuse and take common sense out of the equation.
Feel it, be one with the machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts