Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2018 t120. Love it 495 miles in.... But on grooved pavement I'm getting a wobble. I reduced my tire pressure and that helped but did not eliminate. When my SE wobbled it was a mal function of the tires. Anybody else or am I just breaking in a new bike?

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
Just bought a 2018 t120. Love it 495 miles in.... But on grooved pavement I'm getting a wobble. I reduced my tire pressure and that helped but did not eliminate. When my SE wobbled it was a mal function of the tires. Anybody else or am I just breaking in a new bike?
Search that front tire on this forum. Seems to be a problem in CA with your species of rain groove. You'd not be the first to complain.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm in the UK but don't think any grooved road surface is very good for stability

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I'm in the UK but don't think any grooved road surface is very good for stability
I agree. That's why the road crews usually put up warning signs to let motorcyclist know that the road has been grooved, if the grooves are more than very minor.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My bike has 30k miles on it, and I get wobbles on any corrugated pavement as well. I'm told a steering damper/fork brace helps, but haven't pulled the trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
I traveled twice daily over several miles of grooved pavement before retirement and thought the 'wiggle' it gave was normal and to be expected.

Recently I was over the same area several times with the Pilot Actives I've got on now and absolutely no 'wiggle' or difference from regular pavement, it took me a moment to even remember what to expect in that area.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just for curiosity sake, does the wobble go away when you scoot further back on the seat?
Does it go away when you tuck, bringing your center of gravity lower?
Some wobbles are caused by the geometry ratios between the front wheel and rear. Sometimes when people replace their front tire but not their rear, they’ll find their front tire is now more rounded and thus taller. If the rear tire is starting to flatten out due to wear, it is getting “shorter”. These can cause a front end wobble too. Mine did that with a certain type of tire up front so I went up on size in the rear and it fixed it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Might be a good topic to mention my problem; when driving harder than 120km/h i notice the front end starts to wiggle, makes me want to slow down because it feels really scary.

Does anyone know how this can be fixed? I don't usually drive faster than 120km/h but i don't think this is normal.. Running tkc80's front and back.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Might be a good topic to mention my problem; when driving harder than 120km/h i notice the front end starts to wiggle, makes me want to slow down because it feels really scary.

Does anyone know how this can be fixed? I don't usually drive faster than 120km/h but i don't think this is normal.. Running tkc80's front and back.
Are your tires balanced and properly inflated ? Also how many miles/km's on the tires ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Funny I was going to post this as a subject. I get a little wobble whenever I cross over a crack on the freeway that runs parallel to the road. Don't really notice it on the grooved surfaces though.

Maybe I need a steering dampener too. Does anybody else get that? It's kind of terrifying sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
2,258 Posts
Funny I was going to post this as a subject. I get a little wobble whenever I cross over a crack on the freeway that runs parallel to the road. Don't really notice it on the grooved surfaces though.

Maybe I need a steering dampener too. Does anybody else get that? It's kind of terrifying sometimes.
My Bonneville is the most stable bike I have ever owned. Absolutely no wiggles or wobbles. We have pretty poor roads out here and many of them are covered in the tar snakes [ tar filled cracks ] but the Bonneville does not seem to mind them. The freeways have some pretty nasty expansion joints that rattle your teeth but does not cause any shake or wobble in the bars.
I have found in the past any of my bikes that gave me any wobble in the bars usually always was steering stem bearings.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My Bonneville felt somewhat twitchy at speed after fitting 50/50 tyres with a taller rear tyre and longer rear shocks.

Fitted a steering damper to calm it down and it works well. I doubt it would totaly cure instability on rain grooved roads as I still notice changes in surface height and road texture parallel with the direction of travel. I just try to avoid these surface changes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are your tires balanced and properly inflated ? Also how many miles/km's on the tires ?
I just replaced the rear tire with a new one, the old one didn't have any profile left in the centre. The front tire has some cupping but the profile is allright.

Didn't ride it with the new tire so far..

So this is a balance/pressure related thing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts