Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish so much that my 06 Sprint ST would run true without the front end wobble and shake between 40-55 mph. My dealer says it could be the tire choice as it is not a "recommended" tire choice for my Sprint. I'm running the Dunlop D616's right now. Tire pressures check out. The service mechanic checked out the front end and said the steering stem nut was tightened correctly. I know it could be due to many factors but never thought tire choice could affect a wobble between those specific mph. Under 40 and over 55, I can let go of the bars and the bike runs straight with no wobble. If I let it wobble too long it would turn into a tank slapper. I have just about 17,000 miles on the bike. This is only my 1st set of tires after the originals. I can't remember how many miles are on these current Dunlops. I'm going to get some new tires and see if I still have this same problem. I vaguely remember, but I think I still had this issue when the bike was new with the original tires.

There are so many tire choices out there. If I tell my dealer to suggest a "recommended" tire for the Sprint, I'm thinking I'm going to just be told to get something they are trying to sell. If I continue to have this problem, my service guy will look into it more.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on how I should handle this? Anyone else have a similar problem? Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sodapop,

Sounds like your front tire is cupped. This is a pretty common complaint here when the front tire goes. For help on selecting a new tire check out the tire thread in the repair section of the sprint forum. There are lots of thoughts on what is best for the bike. Me I keep trying a different tire each time.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
It could be what gary says and it could also be what iceman says either will give this result though the cupping or uneven wear is most likely.

As for what the dealer has told you about it not being a recommended tyre for the Sprint I say RUBBISH!

The tyre sticky in Maintenance Tips and tricks at the top of this forum page will help you.

Cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
213 Posts
The recommended tyre thing is just a cop out.
The book even tries to claim that my ABS will only work with Bridgestone or Metzler.
The Non-recommended tyres in use by most of the people on this site will only improve rather than detract from the handling.
Although I've never had a severe wobble like yours, my Sprint seems to feel progressively more stable and planted the faster I go.
Unlike my GSXR 750 which got distinctly light at around 140mph. (Test carried out with a professional rider on a closed circuit. Honest)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Having been through this myself, I agree with whats been said about tyre wear. I wouldn't worry about it. At one stage my 05ST got so bad, I had to hold the bars when I was slowing down as I could feel it really wanting to wobble. Accelerating out of corners would have the bike wanting to tank slap. As soon as I put new rubber on, it all went away. Its one of those things thats hard to believe until you experience it yourself. If you put fresh rubber on and balance the wheels properly and its still doing it, I would then start investigating.

I also agree with the crap about "recommended" tyres. I have been running Shinko R003's and found them to be quite fine. Another example - years ago I had a Suzuki GSX750F (Katana in the USA) and due to its low power output, I would run sticky, light carcass Michelin tyres with a stickier compound on the front. So not only were they not recommended for that bike, they were also "mismatched", but the difference to the ride was quite remarkable.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I had a Dunlop DD214(I think that's correct) on the front. It cupped and I had the same issue. Replaced the tire and no more problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting subject. I never have experienced anything like this even when I had a cupped tire on my GS and LT however I have heard about this problem with every manufacture and it always happens at the speeds that you mentioned. Some say it could be bad or incorrectly adjusted head bearings or steering dampers (if you have them). 95% of the time it seems to be the front tire.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had the exact same problem on a Thruxton. The bike was in the shop for almost a month before it was figured out. They thought it was everything else than what it was -- they even replaced the head bearing free of charge. Turned out it was the front wheel was out of true. They had ruled that out previously by putting on a different wheel. That wheel was out of true, too. Probably not the same cause as you, though -- I'm running spoked aluminum wheels that are probably a lot more likely to go out of true. The symptoms are identical, though.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Same issue on my Trophy. And at exactly 40mph on decelleration. It would turn into a tank slapper real fast if I did not hold on to it. Funny thing is, I do not feel it at all with hands or even just a couple fingers on the bars. Only with no hands. Wierd.. Now you say, just don't ride with no hands. Good plan but something is still wrong. The front is ready for new rubber so I hope that will fix it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts