Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The next part of my project is to figure out why I have a wobble on the front end. I suspect the lazertec fron tire and/or the MeZ on the back. Both are original tires and the bike has done 9000klm.
The bike has had a minor down which smashed the headlight.
in short here is the deal:

• 9000klm
  • old rubber
  • minor down
  • rim seems ok..?
  • generates wobble with hands off bars only
  • oscillation starts off very small, and gets bigger
  • had front off ground and bearings seem very good
  • wheel will flop from side to side (cables permitting)
  • cant feel movement with push or pull
  • cant feel movement wil side to side (bearing)

Just writing this makes me feel I have ruled everything out, but I like to get all opinions, as well as post vids....lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
Could be just a matter of balancing the tire. I changed the front Lazertec at 9000 and notice a slight vibration on turns, and also the movement when I took my hands off the handle bars. After the new tire was on, none of this. Now after 9000 on the ME 880(harder rubber vs the Lazertec) on the front I notice it again. I will take into to Cycle Gear for a balance.
Just did the rear tire at 18000, the ME 880 still a little wear left to the wear mark.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks to me like you just need to get your wheel trued up (spokes adjusted). Since the rim looks to be moving vs. just the tire.

·
Registered
716 Posts
old tire is one cause

In my opinion your old tire wear is one culprit and causes the head shake...
I have the same issue...a new tire will get rid of it for a while...
alot of guys run steering dampers...lots of bikes with steep steering angles have this issue.
don't let go of the bars...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
bent rim, nah. Not unless you hit a curb or hella pothole or the like. You would have felt that hit.

at 32-40sec into the vid shows it best. It looks like the wheel is out of true. Not badly, but a little.

chances are it's the rubber. To some extent all tires do this. Some sooner than later. Some more than others.
If the tire is close to spent then replace the tire and see if that cures the problem.

Mine shakes at some point and speed with every set of tires I have had.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks to me like you just need to get your wheel trued up (spokes adjusted). Since the rim looks to be moving vs. just the tire.
Yeah, I did some yout tube schooling, and I trued up the wheel. took me about an about an hout and 4 beers, but that 5mm distortion has been taken to about less that 1mm all over. I am happy with that.
Seeing how that front wheel was off, I decided to go further and take the rest of the gear of the forks like the headlight. ect.
I loosened all the clamps and the clipons just to let everything settle an re-form if they were twisted at all. I eyeballed everything, and all looks fine, but sureley there is a way to measure??? I was looking for reference points to get a square off, but nothing worked!. Whats the secret? how to you know your triple is sqaure with your lower clamp? how do you know your legs are straight?. I eyeballed one against the other and that looks fine, but I woudl like to be able to measure somehow.???

anyway thatnks for the comments.
Ben

1 - 6 of 6 Posts