Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of front end stands are any of you using on your Sprint ST? What of those spindles or spools that are put on sport bikes for the stands? Or are those just for the rear stand use?
I've seen some front end stands but they look like they lift at the bottom of the forks at the front axle. That looks kind of scary wobbly to me. Would appreciate any enlightenment on my ignorant self.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
+1 on Pitbull.

The 'new' front stand lifts by the bottom triple clamp - has a pin that inserts in the steering stem

Check out the video at this link on the PitBull site to see how easy it is to use.

This is the front lift in use on my TL

And the SV (This one shows that once you get it up, you can lower onto jack stands under the frame sliders) if you want to get it completely out of the way (or need to remove the triple tree)

Don't have a good image on the Triumph I'm afraid - but one stand and a pin for each bike (they're about $10 apiece) means I have all three covered.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 on Pitbull.
The 'new' front stand lifts by the bottom triple clamp - has a pin that inserts in the steering stem
Thanks. The new Pit Bull front stand won't work on my '06 Sprint unless I remove the horn out of the way. Removing it each time would be a pain. I'd have to relocate it, I guess. That new stand looks more study and safe than the forklift style front stands.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's not such a big deal to relocate is it?
I had same issue with my TL actually.
Probably not. I'll just have to get under there and see. But I like that new Pit Bull front stand so I'll have to relocate the horn. Thanks again.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just remember, you are only supposed to use a front stand in combination with a rear stand. Otherwise it might become very unstable and there's a risk of the bike falling over.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
+1 on the Pit Bull stands. I have both the front and rear stands from my '01 Speed Triple. You need to be careful with the front stand as it can come into contact with the underside of the front fairing. A couple of small blocks of wood easily rectify that situation.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've got a set of Pit Bulls and the front scares the Bejeezus out of me. Very unstable. Using it in combination with the rear Pit Bull of course. My front stand is not the kind that lifts from the triple clamp area though. Those little roller pads don't support the lower fork tubes very well at all. A better setup would be a pin-type system that uses the existing holes in the bottom of the fork tubes, but my dealer says a Pit Bull version does't exist for the Sprint.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Gee I have a Pit Bull stand that lifts from the triple tress for my 99 Sprint and have used the same stand for a 06 Sprint !! Works great in conjunction with the rear stand. I am using the standard pin with I believe the #2 adapter. You might want your dealer to check again. Been told that you can use with the bikes center stand too, but have yet to try that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sodapop-Now would be a good time to get rid of the worthless stock horn and replace it with an airhorn like the Stebel Nautilus. I have mine mounted on the ride side with the horn at the opening.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am not sure how high most of these lift, but could I use a front in conjuction with my center stand? Someone has a Circuit One front stand for cheap by me. If it lifts too high, it won't be too har for me to make a rear stand I suppose.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I use T'Rex's. The finish and assembly is not as nice as the Pit Bull, but they are sufficient if you disassemble and clean up the parts, and realign them on re-assembly.

If you want quality out of the box, go with the Pit Bulls. If you don't mind fiddling a bit, the TRex's are fine.

One item to note re the Triumph SSSA is that it is not unusual to have a paint build up in the axle bore that will need to be removed for correct pin fitment.

One thing I can say for T'Rex is that their customer service department will work with you. Since I have TL forks on my bike, I was not able to take advantage of their on line package deal. One phone call, to explain the bike configuration did the trick. They shipped the correct components and charged me as though I was doing the package deal.

View attachment 11628

View attachment 11629

View attachment 11630

View attachment 11631

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
question

OnD,

Can you use only the front stand alone with the bike on the center-stand?

Or, do you have to use the front stand in conjunction with the rear?

May sound like a dumb question, but I'm researching front stands.

Thx

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I do not know.

I would try it for you but I do not have a center stand installed.

Just eyeballing the geometry, I suspect that it could be a bit scary to lift the front and depend on sufficient lateral support being provided by the center stand. The leg spread might (?) be sufficient but I suspect the forward biased bike cg would raise your blood pressure, not to mention your pucker factor. :D At least, that was my experience with various home brew stands and lifts.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I use an Oxford front stand along with the center stand. The Oxford has two pins that cradle the fork bottom and are fully adjustable for width and height which is important for bikes with unequal fork lengths. When removing the front wheel for tyre changes, I find I need to either remove the rear wheel to allow the front to lift high enough for the wheel to clear the fender or I can place a 2x4 under the center stand. Either way, the bike is very stable while on the stands.The 2x4 under the center stand requires a lot of technique and grunt to raise the bike onto the stand so I usually just remove the rear wheel.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I didn't want to start a new stand thread, but can someone measure the front/rear axle heights with their bike up on a stand, I am just trying to set the height of the front, and get some measurements to make a rear stand. My front stand is the type that has a pin inserted at the lower tree.

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts