Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I got a 2nd hand thruxton (2005) last week. Brought it to a local triumph dealer for the 6k service. Told me the bike was in perfect condition.

Ive been riding this week, and noticed only at slow speeds (not when stopped nor braking) an small noise coming from the front end. I checked the tubes, no leaking.

What could it be? What should I check?

It's my first triumph twin, so maybe it's just a normal thing...

Thanks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My '07 has had, from new, a very slight "buzzy" noise in the front, changes when the brake is applied. I think it's the floating disk, er, floating. Caliper is centered, no disk runout to speak of, hasn't gotten worse.
Redhawk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not to be an ass... but can you describe what type of noise? is it constant?
Youre right:

It's an acute sound for around 0.5 - 2 sec.

I've been moving the bike today, no front brake applied, straight line and engine off and could hear it a couple of times.

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Speedometer cable?

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Might sound daft but could be the type of tyres you have on. Different tyre tread patterns make different noises on different road surfaces.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My '07 has had, from new, a very slight "buzzy" noise in the front, changes when the brake is applied. I think it's the floating disk, er, floating. Caliper is centered, no disk runout to speak of, hasn't gotten worse.
Redhawk
Sh*T!!!! I'm sooo relieved to see/hear that I'm not the only hearing things...I got a 2008 and it does the same thing. PHEWW!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
"I'm not the only hearing things"
I hear things all the time on the bike. Sometimes it's mechanical, and sometimes it's "The Voices" telling me to go home and clean the guns.
Redhawk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just test rode a 2009 T100

I just test rode a 2009 T100 2 weeks ago and heard something that sounds like you described. The bike only had 50 miles on it. Probably nothing to worry about, but you would be right to take it to the dealer and have them hear it...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Today while riding at low speed I started hearing "the noise". I reached over the front of the headlamp and pulled up and in with it with my left hand. The noise stopped.

Got back home and inspected the headlamp. Nothing seemed out of order, It was on tight and well. I took out the two screws and inspected the inside, everything seemed in order. No loose metal or anything that looked like it would vibrate and cause the noise. I replaced the headlamp, tightened the screws, and took it out on the road again. The noise was gone.

I have no idea what it was, but I'm not hearing it anymore.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Today while riding at low speed I started hearing "the noise". I reached over the front of the headlamp and pulled up and in with it with my left hand. The noise stopped.

Got back home and inspected the headlamp. Nothing seemed out of order, It was on tight and well. I took out the two screws and inspected the inside, everything seemed in order. No loose metal or anything that looked like it would vibrate and cause the noise. I replaced the headlamp, tightened the screws, and took it out on the road again. The noise was gone.

I have no idea what it was, but I'm not hearing it anymore.
I'm not sure what the inside of the headlamp looks like because I don't own one yet, but I used to own a Honda Rebel that had a headlamp rattle.

I opened the headlamp and saw that the face of it had a piece of metal on the inside that slid into two pieces of metal attached to the main housing. I bent the two piece of metal toward each other just slightly so that the metal piece on the face would be more snug when it slid into place. This stopped the rattle completely.

You'll find a fix for it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts