Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a crash Saturday the front end of my 2001 sprint st 955i is totally gone...
My question is how/what do I have to do to get her up and running again without a dashboard and if I just bang on basic headlights, indicators,speedometer ???

Attachments

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
DEcosse may answer better than me but regarding what he posted in the past I think the dashboard is not needed for stating the bike up. You may even put a speed triple dashboard.

DEcosse will confim. Alternatively you may find related info using the search feature w/ dashboard for instance.

Are you OK BTW?

Fred

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fredsprint...I took a bit of a tumble and I'm a bit bruised and battered but no broken bones..be off work for three to six weeks depending on how fast I heal...
My bike is my main concern...
Too expensive to replace everything but not willing to give up on the bike just yet after all the effort that was put into it by me and DEcosse to get her running nicely...
She won't ever look the same again but too good a bike to be scrapped..
So any help and advice would be great.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad you are okay. My bike looked nearly exactly like yours three days ago after my crash. Luckily, I have a spare 2005 ST parts bike and its all back together and running great. Here is something to think about. I destroyed my front end as well, to include my instrument panel. My bike WOULD NOT start without the instrument cluster hooked up. Even my 2005 dash would not work in my 2008 ST. Problem being, it was explained that they have different ECU's, and the 2008 can't communicate with the 2005 dash. My lights would all work, but the bike would not do it's complete diagnostics check when I turned my key on, including wouldl not prime the fuel pump, and it wouldn't even try to turn over the engine.

Perhaps the older ST's like yours won't be an issue.

I agree with Fredsprint, DEcosse is pretty dang knowledgeable.

Get well!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jwood..hopefully like me you didn't get too badly injured...
Glad you managed to sort your bike out..your lucky..
I've seen bikes that have been converted into street fighter type bikes so I know that it is possible..
I just lack the knowledge to make it happen...I don't want to start joining wires together and set the bike on fire or anything daft like that....

·
Super Moderator
21,375 Posts
Sorry to hear that Duck' - glad you're here to talk about it though!

Bike will start as is - does not need instruments connected on your model

You have lots of choices for replacement instruments - if going naked (which I would expect) something like these Daytona (not related to Triumph in this case!) Velona gauges are good value - the person who responded to an inquiry I made on behalf of a friend was extremely helpful with prompt reply. https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauges-c4/daytona-m4
You can go with a matching pair, or they even have multi-function single units too.
I can validate what will work if you choose something from those (they have lots of other brands too - look around their site) and help you with how to wire up on your Sprint.

You could also go with an OEM Sprint RS gauge if you can find one on EBay

This is a nice all-in-one - https://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gauges-c4/motorcycle-gauges-c27/multifunction-gauges-c29/acewell-ma85-multifunction-gauge-speedometer-rpm-temperature-gauge-gear-indicator-and-shift-light-etc-p558 - don't know if you want to spend that much
Koso units are quite inexpensive

Something like this for headlight - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-Inch-Motorbike-Headlight-Assembly-Casing-for-LED-Headlight-Headlamp-Black-UK/163661742487?hash=item261b000197:g:gPYAAOSw3ZBamDTj (shop around - that's just example)

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you need forks, triple tree, bars and risers and a front fender I have them. I just put a hayabusa front end on so these are just laying around. No clocks though but I saw a sprint for sale for $500 but it’s an RS turned into a drag bike. It’s in the Carolinas on CL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It might be better to check the frame and headstock is still straight and OK before spending any money. Hopefully, it will be OK - good luck.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
What a bummer but very glad you are ok

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DEcosse,my mechanical genius friend, glad your here...Thanks to everyone for well wishes and for all the useful links and its nice to know that I can get the bike back to a road worthy condition..I will need to know where I can get a headlight bracket and something to attach a speedometer to as well...
Now I know that the bike was running when they put it on the back of the tow truck and she sounded gorgeous despite her front end being destroyed...
I need to know what wires do I need to connect from the ignition to wherever to get her started and running to begin with...I've looked at the electrical diagram in the Haynes manual but its like looking at one of them dot print images where your supposed to see a dragon or something but I never can...
I'm no sparky but even I can connect one wire to another with a pair of pliers and plastic connectors if I know what wires I need to connect which unfortunately I don't..
Ignition key wiring....
Clutch and start button wiring ...
Rats nest going to engine,starter and battery I guess...
I can't afford to buy any parts at moment but if I can at least get her running the better chance I got of the wife letting me keep her...
Too good a bike to just scrap...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,375 Posts
I'm not sure I understand why you can't just plug the ignition and bar switches back in to main harness? At least from pics there doesn't appear to be any obvious damage?
You do have to be careful matching up the left & right bar switches since the connectors are actually the same!!! (just match the number of wires is the simplest way to get correct mates)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Someone told me to just get rid of the dash and start from scratch replacing it with just a basic speedometer headlight and indicators reducing the need for the rats nest of wires.I was completely lost as to how I should proceed....

·
Super Moderator
21,375 Posts
Yes, but that has nothing to do with the bar switches and the ignition switch - those will remain as-is, no changes at all.

The headlights harness will get reduced to just a single connector (and you'll probably want to get rid of all that excess)

The relays are more of a problem - hard to hide those on an ST - ultimately the best choice for conversion to a 'naked' bike from an ST is to get yourself a Sprint RS harness - ONLY 00-01 will work though. (I posted up on that recently to another member with same requirements if you can find that thread - just a few weeks back)
Without swapping to RS harness you are faced with what to do with that section with the relays - not sure if you can shoe-horn all that stuff under the tank, behind the steering head, along with the harness/connectors for your bar-switches and key-switch. Then the only harness coming out from there would be for the headlight and the instruments

The Instruments is different story regarding wiring - will need some specific wiring for that based on whatever gauge you end up buying - decide whatever you are going to use and I will advise from there. (unless you go with the RS harness and then you can get set of those clocks too and plug in directly)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Thanks for the kind words DEcosse. Now that I know your across the pond I can offer my front fender in flawless condition and I have one of those hooligan street fighter headlights. Pay shipping only the parts are yours.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
DEcosse...your an absolute star..I would be completely lost without your expertise and guidance..I think for me it’s probably best to go with the easiest option ( I.e the simplest option ) which I think would be the RS harness and clocks....I shall keep an eye out on eBay and with a little patience I’m sure I will be able to overcome my bikes misfortune and have her back on the road either later this year or ready for next season....
I’m looking into the possibility of purchasing a 2004 sprint st as daft as it sounds I just love the feel and ride of the bike...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jer5ak...that’s a very generous offer to a fellow triumph rat in his hour of need..nice one..I have no idea what shipping costs would be or if I would have to pay import tax so it could be more expensive than I currently have the funds for but thank you for the very kind offer...
Just the fact that you offered as given me a really positive start to the day...
Cheers mate....

·
Super Moderator
21,375 Posts
...I have no idea what shipping costs would be or if I would have to pay import tax ....
Essentially you pay VAT on the declared value on a GIFT ONLY if the ACTUAL (declared) value is over £35 - so you pay 20% above £35 valuation.
Non-gifts at declared value of £15-135 you pay VAT, but no import duty i.e. again, 20% of DECLARED value
Above £135, you pay both - duty can vary but typically is 2.5% - so you would pay 22.5% for items valued accordingly.

The above also applies to parts you might purchase through EBay in US for example so you can figure out your actual real costs.
You get a notice of request for payment before item is delivered.

For @jer5ak generous offer, let's say it was 'valued' at £30 and marked 'gift' - you would pay no VAT or Duty.
(shipping costs are not included in the VAT/Duty Computation)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn...that's brilliant news then...if Jer5ak is ok with it and can let me know what the shipping costs would be...thanks for the continued support DEcosse...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
about 22 hours ago*· #12

DEcosse said:
I'm not sure I understand why you can't just plug the ignition and bar switches back in to main harness? At least from pics there doesn't appear to be any obvious damage? You do have to be careful matching up the left & right bar switches since the connectors are actually the same!!! (just match the number of wires is the simplest way to get correct mates)
Sorry pal...I'm not quite with it after my crash...I just connected it up and it started straight away..no leaks of any kind I can see..pop rivet loose on the exhaust rattles very noticeably and my rear brake lever is bent at an angle that I'm glad wasn't my leg...
I can't ride it yet to check it runs in a straight line as my right arm and shoulder ain't no good for now but I would say it's all looking pretty promising...
Thanks for your patience with me...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts