Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got the bike out of the shed to day, freewheeling felt heavy, brake binding not an issue got to work RHS front disc lot hotter the LHS disc. lifted front wheel rotated by hand 1/4 to 1/3 free rotation.
rode home no issues, desided to clean pots and caliper. 1 piston I could push using my thumbs with a bit of force the other piston no go had to use a clamp, got piston out most of way, bloody crud on piston, had to clean it about 3 or 4 times each time getting the piston out a little further. on last piston press in with clamp all of a sudden pop straight in, now the piston is free.

tested bike, by lifting front wheel again, 1 to 1.5 rotations, sorted.

on my old TDM850 the front brakes seized on after 30,000miles, warped both front discs cost me quite a few quid to get it sorted. It could have been a lot worse as I was on the motorway at motorway speed, the bike slowed at a reasonable speed, it felt like the bike had run out of fuel. its not much fun riding a bike with only a rear brake even at low speed

So I am mind full of what can go wrong.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hi Belton,

Sounds like a good spot to me with the heavy freewheeling. Check the discs after a brief ride, identify the problem and get it sorted quick - top marks, 10 out of 10 :)

Well done !!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Anyone,

Mine need doing at the mo, any tips for getting them moving smoothly ??

Do you pop the pistons right out of the seals to clean them up, or will this damage them (the seals) ??

What do you use to clean them ??

Do you coat the pistons (the parts open to the elements) to stop them corroding ??

Any other info ??

Cheers :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Graeme, all I did was pump the pistons half way out then determined which was the problem. one will more more freely so I cleand that one first, I only pushed the pistons out until only about 5-10mm left in the caliper, I had to use a 'G' clamp to push piston in (the sticky one). the problem one took 4 or 5 attempt to get it until I could push the pistons back with my thumbs with a good amount of force.
I use autosol to clean pistons, the give then a wipe over with a clean cloth

I clean the caliper with a small soft wire brush around the casting, but not near the seals, I use an old toothbrush, this is done dry, one happy I wash the caliper in clean water to remove any dust, etc.

·
Registered
240 Posts
FWIW, I have removed the pistons from my calipers more than once. Really carefull cleaning and reassembly can make a HUGE difference to the way they work.

With a caliper off the bike, remove the pads and hold a piece of wood tight across the pistons to make sure they come out together, and use the lever to pump them out. Use something like a dental pick (visit Superdrug...) to remove the seals. Use the pick and dental mirror (see the theme?) to clean the seal grooves of ALL corrosion. I admit to cleaning my caliper pistons with Solvol and Scotchbrite (works well, IMHO). Wash everything off thoroughly with clean brake fluid. You can then rinse them under a tap with warm water but make sure they are really dry afterwards - an air line helps. Make sure pistons are well-coated in brake fluid when re-inserting. I try to get rubber grease around the pistons once inserted, so as they extend, they will be protected from road sh*t (it will stick in the rubber grease, until it gets washed off).

YMMV.

I can't say this strongly enough thought - cleanliness is paramount.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Thanks for the info chaps, will get round to it soon (I've been sayin' that for a month now :()

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info chaps, will get round to it soon (I've been sayin' that for a month now :()

I agree with chazzyB, cleanliness is paramount.

Graeme, get them cleaned soon, it cost me a lot of money 1 year on my TDM850, I warped both front discs, cost me about £400 to get it sorted.

a couple of hours work and piece of mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts