Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys

My buddy left his 2008 S3 with me while he is away for a couple of months serving the USA. On my bikes with the the compression or rebound damping one would be on the top of the fork and one would be at the bottom of the fork near the calipers. On the Speed3 I adjusted the preload at the top of the fork and the other adjustment at the top which I believe is compression damping in this case. So my questions are:

1. is the adjustment at the top compression damping or rebound?
2. where is the other adjustment which on my other bikes was near the calipers?

TIA

·
Registered
206 Posts
On my 08 the compression is atop the throttle-side fork leg and the rebound atop the clutch-side fork leg. Preload is the blue knobs with ring adjusters to help with setting sag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting...this setup seems kinda strange to me. Are the forks somehow physically linked to one another? ie sharing fork oil? To me that is the only way by adjusting one side you are applying settings to both forks.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Interesting...this setup seems kinda strange to me. Are the forks somehow physically linked to one another?
Yes. They share the same front axle and triple clamps.
:D

ie sharing fork oil? To me that is the only way by adjusting one side you are applying settings to both forks.
True, that the setup is a bit strange. It was the fashion at the end of the nineties amongs racing bikes. If you think of the whole front as 1 package, then both forks do not really have to do both dampings. One does the comp and the other does the rebound.

The new '09 R1 Yamaha has this same asymmetric setup also, but not many others amongs the current bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

HAHA true.

True, that the setup is a bit strange. It was the fashion at the end of the nineties amongs racing bikes. If you think of the whole front as 1 package, then both forks do not really have to do both dampings. One does the comp and the other does the rebound.

The new '09 R1 Yamaha has this same asymmetric setup also, but not many others amongs the current bikes.
Interesting good points thanks. Thanks again to everyone it's a great bike.

·
Registered
366 Posts

And, I believe, the rather high tech (and expensive) Ducati Desmosedici

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Welcome to TriumphRat.net Blade929 - take a moment if you will to read the sticky thread for newbies and also revisit your UserCp to fill in the requested info per the sticky guidlines

....The new '09 R1 Yamaha has this same asymmetric setup also, but not many others amongs the current bikes.
And, I believe, the rather high tech (and expensive) Ducati Desmosedici
Yeah, but both of those have effective forks as opposed to the cheap-ass Showas that Triumph selected. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts