Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question I'm afraid , I have serched but to no avail.
So the question is , has anybody found a multi pot caliper to replace the std one on a Thruxton / Bonnie ? I have seen the very nice but expensive after market 4 and 6 piston calipers on this site but I was wondering if anybody has fitted a Busa ,Speed Tripple, Blade ect caliper with a machined bracket ,as these are very good brakes and very cheep from the breakers / ebay . If so any chance of a photo and bracket drawing ?
I'm not being tight but have only just bought the Thrux / air box removal kit,stearing damper ,track day to book ect and funds are now somewhat in short supply.
If no one has done this yet ,I will see if I can find a Speed Tripple caliper and offer it up and see if it is doable .

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The Beringer 4 piston caliper "only" costs £250 if you buy it direct from the UK importer. I would imagine if you get in to the realms of making a mounting bracket to fit a caliper that isn't a direct replacement then, even if the caliper is cheaper, you'll end up spending much the same. Bear in mind that if you buy a used caliper it would be wise to strip it down and replace the seals and maybe the pistons as you can't be sure what kind of life it has had. This would obviously add to the cost. Plenty of people have fitted Beringer and Pretech calipers but I've not read of anyone using the caliper from another bike as a direct replacement so maybe you'll be a pioneer! There is a guy using Speed Triple front brakes but he has grafted on the whole front end so I don't think that counts! The Nissin calipers used on our bikes are also used on the (old) CB600F so maybe looking at what will also fit that might be a start. Norman Hyde sells a Lockheed caliper with a bracket, but that costs even more than the Beringer or Pretech offerings and looks unsightly in my opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul. The Beringer 4 pot is a nice piece of kit but another £250 is a bit too much at the moment . I like to tinker a bit making a bracket wouldn't be too much of a problem as I know a machinest . A machined bracket shouldn't too out of place as the std nissin caliper sits on its own bracket any way. I do agree ,I would need a good condition caliper as new pistons & seals wouldn't make it cost effective. Also one that the fixings are close to avoid a huge slab of alu mounting plate.
I don't want to removin the fork leg lugs and Alu weldind a bespoke fixing plate as this can warp the leg and is not reversable.
I don't think I'll find a caliper that will just bolt as the nissin 'Honda' bracket fit with 80mm centres are not that common.
Then I could always put a Beringer 4 pot on my birthday present list.
Alec

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Mine is the 6-pot Pretech unit. Excellent quality and MADE IN ENGLAND, just like my Thruxton. I collected mine (paid for on collection) from the Pretech premises in Reading. EBC HH pads and a high quality Goodrich brake line with fittings was included in the price.

Don't skimp on brakes IMO. Good brakes save lives!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts