Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my front rotors changed out due to pulsation and front end dive. My dealer said that some rotors have soft spots in them. The work was covered under warranty since it has 6200 miles and less 1 yr. since I bought it. Now my braking is smooth.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 05 is on its third set of rotors (same soft spots and grabbing situation) with about 13K. Bike warranty is up in two weeks so I talked to the national service rep about what it all means. He says the parts are warrantied for 1 year and that this was an unusual problem. (?!!?) If the Tiger has another rotor problem then they will take it on a case by case basis but no promises.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm not sure that warping is always the culprit. Not saying that you good people are wrong in this case but I read the following theory by a race mechanic who was writing about breaking brake in on race cars. When after heavy brake use the disk and pads of course get very hot, if you then come to a stop but leave the brakes applied sometimes the pads leave a mark on the disk. This mark actually gets etched into the steel and becomes rough. This rough bit can be felt when you brake and will feel like warping and it gets worse as it builds up with pad material. I believe I experience this on my Jag but luckily haven't had it happen to my bikes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It may be not so much a matter of warpage but thickness variation, due to metal problems, which can warp the the rotors. Or so I am told. It is also speculated that front wheel casting may be the real culprit, hence the recurring problem. I am no expert on the technicals and have been told different things by different people. Triumph is basically mum about this issue.

I do have the experience of two long road trips marred by bad rotors with difficult braking. I am not a hard or abusive rider but I do use the Tiger for what it is- a zippy, good cornering adventurer. The disks are one big disappointment and always a sore spot when asked about my machine.

Makes me want an 07. No, just kidding, I like curves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts