Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Ever since new I've always thought my Thruxton R's front brake was too spongy.

After a pump or two it would then grab where it should. Simple fix, so I thought. Just a few air bubbles in line.

Turns out, not so much.

Now before I go further, the shop I use has been fantastic. As speedy as they can be, always giving me updates on every step. Top notch place.

Took it in, apparently there was a few TTRs that had the wrong front wheel spacers from factory that could cause this issue. Also causing the caliper to contact the rotor.

New spacers shipped in, no dice. Still contact. Have to contact triumph US and they have to contact triumph UK to figure it all out. New rotor, caliper, and caliper mount are on the way. Elapsed time just over a month. Still another week or so until parts come in that may or may not fix the problem.

Then once it is rideable, they are going to check the balancer shaft for a recall and the terrible clunk it makes if you are in a rapid on/off/on throttle situation.

I understand new things have issues, and am actually really happy with the dealership (they really could not be better), but I'm wondering if anyone else has had any of the same issues.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Is the spacer issue a “silent” recall? Any info on how to check your bike? May I ask when you bought your TTR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SirCuffsalot

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yeah, what he said (typed). ^^^^
My warranty is up at the end of April... And this is the very first time I have read anything about this one... Since you are having this issue, would you be kind enough to explain it, or how one would go about knowing if their bike might fall into this group? Any info would be great. As I don't have any braking issues that I am aware of. However, I do have the I.Q. of a goldfish. Cheers.

Ps... I don't even really recall any sort of spacer between my front discs and the front hub when I watched the Triumph tech swap out the exact same silver Brembo discs for the their black ones. (OEM equipment on the 2016 Street Triple R.)

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the spacer issue a “silent” recall? Any info on how to check your bike? May I ask when you bought your TTR?
That information I didn't get. I got my 2016 at the end of last May.

Yeah, what he said (typed). ^^^^
My warranty is up at the end of April... And this is the very first time I have read anything about this one... Since you are having this issue, would you be kind enough to explain it, or how one would go about knowing if their bike might fall into this group? Any info would be great. As I don't have any braking issues that I am aware of. However, I do have the I.Q. of a goldfish. Cheers.

Ps... I don't even really recall any sort of spacer between my front discs and the front hub when I watched the Triumph tech swap out the exact same silver Brembo discs for the their black ones. (OEM equipment on the 2016 Street Triple R.)
The issue I was having was a soft brake lever.
I would apply the brakes, but the lever would pull in a fair bit before they would engage.
If I pulled them in a small amount 2-3 times the lever would then be firm and felt as it should.
I took it in expecting it to simply be air in the lines and to have them bled. (which there is also apparently a very very specific procedure for, info from triumph uk)

If your brake lever feels solid and firm, I'd assume your bike was fine. Mine felt off from the factory.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Thanks!
From what I’ve read on this forum over the past 2 & a half years, almost every Thruxton R on the planet has a more soft or progressive bite, rather than an instant bite. And even if the Triumph dealer bleeds the brake with it hooked up to the computer, in order to actuate the ABS valve electronically, that you still have a somewhat progressive, initial sponge, feel in the Brembo lever. (I had the dealer do the ABS bleed.)

I’m sure I’m going to come off as a dumb dip-sh*t loser... But if the pads aren’t rubbing on the discs, and the pads are still very close to to the discs, then what would a spacer or something accomplish? Not trying to be combative, at all... More so, I’m hoping to learn something before my warranty is expired in a month & a half. Cheers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
OK so this thread is of the utmost interest to me.

I've been having the same exact issue with my ThruxtonR ever since I bought it in April 2016. The brakes would soften progressively after a couple of months. I would then purge them (its an easy procedure I'll gladly xplain if necessary), thus evacuating the air bubbles that had accumulated. The fix would bring back immediate bite to my brakes for the next couple of months (I ride roughly 900 miles a month) and I would do it all over again.

I mentioned this twice to my dealer in France - we both assumed it was linked to the Rizoma fluid tank I installed (as a replacement to the ugly plastic OEM one) and the eventual variations caused by either the vibrations or my steering (the fluid tank being mounted via a thin metal strap to the bracelets).

Long story short, I'm beginning to think that there might indeed be an issue with the tightness of the brake fluid circuit - perhaps caused by the front brake spacers mentioned by our friend Skinny06.

I'm really interested in any feedback on this fellas. On my side, I'm going to contact my dealer asap and ask if any recall is in the pipeline.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Thanks, @Skinny06. I'll look out for the issue once we get past the crap weather we've been having in the Northeast.

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK so this thread is of the utmost interest to me.

I've been having the same exact issue with my ThruxtonR ever since I bought it in April 2016. The brakes would soften progressively after a couple of months. I would then purge them (its an easy procedure I'll gladly xplain if necessary), thus evacuating the air bubbles that had accumulated. The fix would bring back immediate bite to my brakes for the next couple of months (I ride roughly 900 miles a month) and I would do it all over again.

I mentioned this twice to my dealer in France - we both assumed it was linked to the Rizoma fluid tank I installed (as a replacement to the ugly plastic OEM one) and the eventual variations caused by either the vibrations or my steering (the fluid tank being mounted via a thin metal strap to the bracelets).

Long story short, I'm beginning to think that there might indeed be an issue with the tightness of the brake fluid circuit - perhaps caused by the front brake spacers mentioned by our friend Skinny06.

I'm really interested in any feedback on this fellas. On my side, I'm going to contact my dealer asap and ask if any recall is in the pipeline.
please explain the procedure, how do you activate ABS solenoids ?

thanks

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Geeze... I still don’t get it... I’m reading all this, and my brain is getting softer & softer... Still, I can’t wrap my head around the area you guys are typing about... I think I’m just going to take a break, go sit on the porcelain throne for a bit, push out a grumpy, and have a nice long thinking poop.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Geeze... I still don’t get it... I’m reading all this, and my brain is getting softer & softer... Still, I can’t wrap my head around the area you guys are typing about... I think I’m just going to take a break, go sit on the porcelain throne for a bit, push out a grumpy, and have a nice long thinking poop.
Best thinking comes from the shower, not the sh!tter Cuffs!

I've had this problem on my bike since I picked it up in March 2016. Dealer bled the brakes according to the Triumph directions and handed it back to me after they test rode it and said "that's much better now", but it seemed marginally better if anything. A season and a half later of maybe 1500 miles and it feels exactly the same. Pull once for low speed slowing and double pump for slowing from faster speeds. It's annoying but I've just gotten used to it.

Keen to find out if there is a fix. Fingers crossed for a recall/TSB since warranty expires this month for me.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Best thinking comes from the shower, not the sh!tter Cuffs!

I've had this problem on my bike since I picked it up in March 2016. Dealer bled the brakes according to the Triumph directions and handed it back to me after they test rode it and said "that's much better now", but it seemed marginally better if anything. A season and a half later of maybe 1500 miles and it feels exactly the same. Pull once for low speed slowing and double pump for slowing from faster speeds. It's annoying but I've just gotten used to it.

Keen to find out if there is a fix. Fingers crossed for a recall/TSB since warranty expires this month for me.
Yup, almost the exact same here... Did the Triumph dealer computer bleed. Got the patented “There ya go Mr. Dumb Customer, all fixed.” line... And off I went... It was just barely better (you have to believe it’s better, like Santa)... I’m just thinking it’s the way this particular brake set up is... I’m totally used to it. And it was never a “problem” for me... But I don’t want to be left out in the cold standing there with my pee-pee in my hand in one month when my warranty is up... And then every other A-Hole on the planet that bought one after me gets to have Valentino Rossi’s front brakes warranty-swapped except for me.

Fun Fact: No word in the English language rhymes with the word Month.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Aren’t all the new TTR’s like this? It’s weird to me that two years later, all of the sudden someone realized they accidentally put a Jeep Wrangler front rim on all the bikes. Ugh... I would have almost exactly half the miles on my bike if I could erase the miles riding half way across the state for dealer recalls & warranty stuff. Somebody call the whaaambulance for me.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Just curious, has any one tried tying the brake lever down after every ride? It may or may not help on ABS but worth a try. Also if bleeding doesn't help it could be the rotor warped or flexing, pushing the pistons back too far. If you pump the lever to get a firm feel and let it sit without riding will the lever still be firm an hour later? If not its probably air in the system.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure if im understanding everything clearly but when i picked up my TTR, my dealer told me that the brakes will feel a little soft until they are "warmed up" i forgot what his exact words were but maybe thats what it is? brakes feel a little spongy but after they "warm up" they are good? i do notice that in the mornings during my commute my brakes do feel a little soft but as i ride to work the brakes feel much better.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, almost the exact same here... Did the Triumph dealer computer bleed. Got the patented “There ya go Mr. Dumb Customer, all fixed.” line... And off I went... It was just barely better (you have to believe it’s better, like Santa)... I’m just thinking it’s the way this particular brake set up is... I’m totally used to it. And it was never a “problem” for me... But I don’t want to be left out in the cold standing there with my pee-pee in my hand in one month when my warranty is up... And then every other A-Hole on the planet that bought one after me gets to have Valentino Rossi’s front brakes warranty-swapped except for me.

Fun Fact: No word in the English language rhymes with the word Month.
There was apparently a very specific bleed procedure they instated 2ish months ago that came from Triumph UK directly. Don't know if it's worth going and asking

Just curious, has any one tried tying the brake lever down after every ride? It may or may not help on ABS but worth a try. Also if bleeding doesn't help it could be the rotor warped or flexing, pushing the pistons back too far. If you pump the lever to get a firm feel and let it sit without riding will the lever still be firm an hour later? If not its probably air in the system.
Yup, it hasn't helped. Spongy until pulled once or twice in rapid-ish suggestion.

Not sure if im understanding everything clearly but when i picked up my TTR, my dealer told me that the brakes will feel a little soft until they are "warmed up" i forgot what his exact words were but maybe thats what it is? brakes feel a little spongy but after they "warm up" they are good? i do notice that in the mornings during my commute my brakes do feel a little soft but as i ride to work the brakes feel much better.
1300 mile ride this summer through plenty of twisties relatively hard but two up and no change. Same thing.

My 06 thruxton has better brake feel and brakes. Something is amiss.

On another note, Brembo recently recalled many of their master cylinders. Triumph says the ones they received aren't part of that recall. But something tells me that tune may change.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That is dealer ******** talk right there. Brakes arent "soft until they warm up".

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I don’t know. Every TTR owner that I know or read of, state they have same feeling in the front brake. While I have never, in all the a million YouTube video reviews have watched, heard an “expert” make comment that the progressive Brembo is worrisome or an issue... Also, it feels a lot like the Brembo front brake on my Ducati Monster I used to own... I’m not going to worry or even concern myself with this one, unless I actually read somewhere on this forum in the future that the problem is found to be A... And the solution is to warranty B. Cheers.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts