Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never opened up the brake system, I just had the calipers off to the side and the bars off the risers. I figure a bubble could have got in at the master cyl but would clear when I pushed in the wheel cyl pistons ( new pads ). Now, after assbly, the lever stops the wheel but the lever is spongy and goes to the bar. I tied it off overnite and next am; tapped the line from the bottom up but no effect. Any idea ?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
one way or another it seems some air has got in. just bleed the system in the conventional manner and it should work
G

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The most succesful technique seems to be rapid pumping of the lever, then hold while the bleeder valve is cracked open quickly, then closed. After this procedure, brakes are usually good. Sometimes, the rapid pumping disturbs the brake fluid to where a good feel is not evident till the next day, the lever being bungied down over-nite helps this.
I guess I was lucky, mine felt good after being bled
G

B

·
0 Posts
You could try Speed Bleeders...a great way to bleed the brakes...very easy.

For now, try this: tie or bungie the brake lever...wait over night...gently tap the brake line...untie.

You might have to repeat this process.

You should have tighter brakes now...be careful.

Good riding!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Bleeding brakes is easy. Best to do it right--you don't want to take a chance with the brakes.

Before you go to the trouble of doing the full bleed, you should do two things:

Change the system for leaks. It should be a closed system.

Did you pump the brakes multiple times before tying them off overnight? I did a pad swap recently. I compressed the pistons to fit the new pads and the brakes had no resistance at all until I pumped them several times to advance the pistons to the point that the pads were madking contact with the caliper again.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
On 2006-12-13 10:44, Normandy wrote:
Dr, you were luckier than me. Got the dot4, clear line and soda bottle handy.
Sounds like you're all set. This won't hurt a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts