Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am interested in finding out all I can about changing out the front brake line on my 2018 SM. I am changing handlebars and the front brake line is too short. I have not done this before so anyone who has done this themselves ( not a shop) could you possibly give me some pointers as to the steps involved. Does the tank need to come off to access the brake line banjo connectors? Does the fluid need to be drained completely before swapping out to the longer brake line?

I have the Haynes service manual for 2017 Bobber but as you know it only has one disc on the front, and the Bonnie Speedmaster has two, how does this complicate things. I also read that a special tool is needed for ABS synchronization, usually done at the dealer. Is that necessary when doing this cable extension install?

Thanks in advance for your input on this. I am just trying to get comfortable on this bike and I have a set of buckhorn pullbacks that are possibly the answer.:smile2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi LadyBonnie

I have fitted the high bars on my Speedmaster. All Triumph parts have a mounting instruction. Do as follows:

Go to Triumph configure page
Select your bike
Find the part you have purchased
Write down the part number
Go to: https://www.triumphinstructions.com/default.aspx
Type in the number and you get a choice of language
...there you have your instructions.

I didn't use any special tool to bleed the new brake line. You just have to pump it a lot. fill the reservoar and pump until there are now bubbles coming from the caliper. Continue for at least 8 more toping up. Be careful not to spill any brake fluid on your paintwork, -it will ruin it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
....oups

Checked the instructions. Poor information.
Sorry

But, -Yes, you will have to remove the tank. Under the tank is a connecting block that split the brake line in two and also supply the abs system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....oups

Checked the instructions. Poor information.
Sorry

But, -Yes, you will have to remove the tank. Under the tank is a connecting block that split the brake line in two and also supply the abs system.
Thanks, I guess I now have to figure out how the tank is removed. I understand there is a few connectors that need to be disconnected.

LB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The procedure of taking the tank of the bike is similar to all modern classics.
This link might help:

https://www.triumphrat.net/water-cooled-twins-technical-talk/797849-t120-tank-removal.html

...there is a lot to learn from this forum :wrenchin
Thanks Nils,

I am set on doing this myself and really appreciate this forum and people like you who are helping out us noobies who are learning to maintain and service their bikes without the expensive shop fees. As well, I find that once you complete a job on your bike, you have a real sense of ownership and pride in knowing more about your motorcycle and how everything goes together.

LB

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Try rerouting the brake cable around the triple tree. I did that and was able to have enty of slack (and extra) for my new bars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Try rerouting the brake cable around the triple tree. I did that and was able to have enty of slack (and extra) for my new bars.
Hi,

So when you changed your bars to higher, did you need the extension cable kit or did you have enough slack after re-routing around the triple tree? Did you still have to bleed your front master cylinder using the re-routing method?

LB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No bleeding of lines needed.
Hi Dseely830, thanks for the photos and your help on this. I still am not quite getting how you re routed without disconnecting the brake line. Also, when you took your beach bars off, how did you get those end weights out of the ends of the bars? Are they pressed in? I don't see them on your new bars. Would they not fit?

I am trying to install Buckhorn Pullbacks 8" rise. The bars you have look great! how high is the rise on those?

LB:smile2:

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I was able to rerout WITHOUT bleeding the brakes. Once you have the beach bars removed you can fairly easily remove the top of the triple tree, pull the brake line in and then replace it. You can then install the new bars. If you are concerned about removing the top of the triple tree don't be. You WILL need a rubber mallet to tap it up and off and then to tap it back down in place. There are good instructions on how to do this in the instructions that Triumph has for installing the "longhaul windshield". This was the first windshield I put on but changed it because it was too low and useless. So was already familiar with removing this part. Any questions just let me know.

The bar end caps are on the bike in the second photo (side view). The first pic was taken before I had replaced them. The original bar ends are screwed in. Triumph cut a notch in the end of the beach bars and threaded it for the end caps to screw into. They are not really weights, just finishers.

At first I could not figure out how to reinstall them as the new bars have just hollow ends. I purchased the "bikemaster" bar ends from RevZilla (photo attached) for 7/8" & 1" bars. I used that mounting system (which expands inside the bar to hold it) but used the original Triumph be bar ends instead of the bikemaster ones. I did have to purchase a 1" M6 stainless bolt for it as the bikemaster bolt won't work. Once you have this part in hand I can walk you through an easy way to do the install (as it can be tricky and took me trial & error). I'm also including a better pic of the bar ends on the new bars.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
****..... I sent you the wrong photos in regards to the bikemaster bar ends. I'll get the right pic to you asap. It's still early here lol. My apologies.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There are good instructions on how to do this in the instructions that Triumph has for installing the "longhaul windshield". This was the first windshield I put on but changed it because it was too low and useless. So was already familiar with removing this part. Any questions just let me know.
Once you have the beach bars removed you can fairly easily remove the top of the triple tree
Hi Dseely,

Thanks for your input on this... I really appreciate all the help. I don't have the proper service manual for instructions on how to remove the tree. Do you happen to have a link to the instructions to remove that triple tree cover?

The bars I have are about 2 inches higher than yours I think, but I still want to try this. Can you do this re-routing without removing tank? I removed the tank yesterday, but got freaked out and put it back on. I could remove it again if needed, but if this can be accomplished without that, it would be great. I am going to order those bar ends from Revzilla and when they come in I will attempt this again. Most likely the riding season will be over by the time I finish this, but I will have all winter to do it.

thanks again for your help on this.

LB:smile2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts