Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Right. So now we're getting somewhere. When you replace the seals make sure you clean out all the white residue in the slot they live in. One of those tiny wire wheels you get in dremel kits is ideal but you can do it carefully with scrapers avoiding scratching.

The thing is, I have cleaned the housings and the current seals in there atm, They are squeeky clean. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
mhh, not exactly,

Normally, the seals are square, as so to say. If they warp, they become a bit of a trapezium shape. Which in effect causes them to not retract the pistons anymore. Causing the brake to always to be 'on'

If you catch my drift.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The reason pistons retract into the caliper after you let go of the handle is because the seal tries to regain is original shape, which is square. If the seal wears out and deforms into a trapezium shape, it no longer retracts the piston into the caliper.

I'm not sure how to explain this properly. Any native English speaker who can help me out?

·
Premium Member
8,437 Posts
The reason pistons retract into the caliper after you let go of the handle is because the seal tries to regain is original shape, which is square. If the seal wears out and deforms into a trapezium shape, it no longer retracts the piston into the caliper.

I'm not sure how to explain this properly. Any native English speaker who can help me out?
Maybe look at post #10?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I get it. They turn to **** and dont work. I called again today. 11 days after my order. They said they will arrive here tomorrow or wednesday. 13 days to get seals...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update, got my seals today. Just 14 days to get them more or less. Putting it together tomorrow, will come back and update if it solved my issue

·
Premium Member
8,437 Posts
Did you already bin the old seals? It might be interesting to post pictures of them. If there is any visual damage, there are a couple eagle-eyed and knowledgeable people here that could probably spot it straightaway.*

*I'm definitely not one of those people, but am interested to see a post mortem, so to speak

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Did you already bin the old seals? It might be interesting to post pictures of them. If there is any visual damage, there are a couple eagle-eyed and knowledgeable people here that could probably spot it straightaway.*

*I'm definitely not one of those people, but am interested to see a post mortem, so to speak

Unfortunately Ive binned them already but the only thing I could identify as the problem when I had the new seals in my hand was that the old seals didnt feel as firm as the new ones did. They old ones felt softer, abit sluggish but couldnt see any wear on them.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts