Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just finished replacing my front brake pads on my 07 Scrambler and have noticed that the lower bolt has minimal clearance to the EBC floating disc I have on the bike. Minimal in about 1mm. I never noticed that the last time I replaced them, and there are no markings on the disc to suggest that there has been contact between the bolt and the disc on the previous install. I did nothing different, and torqued up to the same numbers.

Is this clearance right, or do I need to remove everything again and try again? Just seems a bit close to me. Did a small test ride and everything working fine, but...........a little unsure.

thanks in advance

Peter

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
I just looked at mine and it's about 2mm clearance from the rotor, never even noticed it before. It projects through the mounting lug about 2-3mm (and is torqued to the proper value).

If your situation is similar, you could put a split-ring lockwasher under the head of the screw to pull it back a bit. This would add about 1mm or a bit more to the clearance.

Another option would be to look for a slightly shorter screw, but it should be long enough that all the threads engage, for safety's sake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marty,

Yes it does protrude a bit far to be honest. As you say a washer would bring it back, and the whole of the thread would still be covered.

I'll fit a washer tomorrow, but think long term would prefer to find a suitable bolt that is a bit shorter, or cut this one down a bit.

cheers

Peter

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
Be careful if you shorten the screw, that you don't wind up buggering the threads in the mounting lug from the rough cut end. I usually avoid doing this unless I have no other options. I'd consider the lockwasher a permanent solution, unless you want more clearance than it provides.

Of course, a slightly shorter manufactured screw is the best solution.

And don't fix it until it's broke, if you know what I mean. Remember that as of now, you don't actually have a problem. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I checked the two bikes I have at home; they each have about .050" clearance. I see no reason why 1 mm (.040") isn't adequate.

Dick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

But...let's say I was uncomfortable with the 1mm, bearing in mind rotors can and do warp slightly, how could I tell the new bolt I had found was made of the right steel etc for the job (I'm assuming all bolts are not made from the same steel)?

The answer to the thread problem if shortened is to screw on a nut first, then cut the bolt to size, and when unscrewing the nut, it will clean up the thread.

I will use a washer for now, but if I can find a nut to fit the bolt, I will cut the existing bolt down to size.

btw Perhaps the EBC semi floating rotor for the bike is slightly different size to the middle of the original rotor.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

For now I have added a lockwasher to the bolt, and it has done the trick perfectly. I now have 4mm clearance, and the end of the bolt is just protruding so I am using all the thread as before.

As I restore vintage Japanese monkey bikes in my spare time I raided the parts bin I have and found the perfect size washer.

It is Honda part no 94111-08000 if any of you have the same concerns as me.

thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Peter

·
Registered
760 Posts
They Know!

I was just down to the dealer in hopes of getting a little help figuring out the source of a new noise eminating from my bike. They just replaced the front wheel (hub,spokes,rim, & brake rotor) last week and I've felt/heard a little ratcheting sound ever since. BTW, the new wheel was a result of 2 or 3 warped rotors on my '06 Scram.

While I was looking for the source I noticed the lack of clearance between one of the brake caliper mounting bolts and the rotor. I went inside and looked at all the new Bonnies on the floor. Guess what? - no long bolt threatening to hit the rotors on the new bikes. I went outside and looked at all the bonnies (customer's bikes waiting for service) fom previous years and they shared my lack of clearance.

WHATS UP? NO RECALL? NO SAFETY NOTICE? JUST REDESIGN TO ADRESS A PROBLEM AND DON'T TELL ANY EXISTING CUSTOMERS?

Lame, just lame...

P.S. The sevice dept. manager at the dealer didn't find anything, so I came home and started poking around, turns out someone didn't tighten the bolts on the caliper - they were just hand tightened! I'm lucky I didn't loose one. I cleaned and greased the caliper, replaced the pads, and tightened the bolts to 40NM.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I've got a 07 thruxton and thought I saw a recall for caliper bolts being too short. Mine end well inside the caliper housing probably only going between 1/2 and 2/3rds the way thru. Asked my local dealer and he checked against my vin on. and said no recalls .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts