Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a ride to the top of Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County for the first time in about 20 years and it was so clear that from the viewing station at the peak you could see the golden gate bridge to the West and turn around and see snow on the mountains to the East as well as the San Juaqin and Sacramento rivers winding off in the distance. It costs about 6 bucks to get in the park gate but it was worth it. Nice windy road for a relaxed ride up the hill, can't go to fast cause they let the rangers write tickets plus hikers and bikes. If you ever get a chance try this ride but make sure it is on a clear day and in the Winter for the snow on the mountains. About mid sixties at the entrance and it dropped at least ten maybe more degrees on the way up. Only one other bike, about fifteen cars and a few bicycle riders the whole ride.

PCRider

·
Registered
859 Posts
A similar ride here is Hurricane Ridge outside of Port Angeles on the Olympic penninsula, a really fun windy road to the top, great view when you get there. Also worth the cost of admission. Although it doesn't seem fair to have to pay to get into a National Park!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'll be skiing on that snow Wednesday at Bear Valley PCRider. :cool:

[ This message was edited by: Bryan on 2006-02-05 22:32 ]

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
PCR,

Had you continued to venture on down the mountain to the other side, you would have found me at The Junction smoking a cigar and watching the bikes roll in a roll out. It was not only a great day for a ride, but fantastic weather to just 'kick it' in the sun.

Talking to various people as they passed through, I learned that the cycle riders know all about how many calories they can ingest, and how many are burned while riding, even how many they burn just standing around (while stocking up on more energy concoctions that they carry with them). They shoot for the ideal equivalent of "one fig bar every nine minutes" to keep them going.

Then a 50th Anniversary Edition Yamaha R6 parked, and in our conversation I learned that the tach's have traditionally been pretty optimistic on Yamaha's, but that the recent controversy is about the 1200-1500 rpm's optimism indicated on their newest model. He smiled and commented that if people are buying the new R6 for it's 17,500 rpm red line, they're simply buying it for the wrong reason.

Later in the day, I rode around the Delta and ended up having a Blue Cheese Filet Mignon dinner at Guisti's. In as much as the clear blue skies were beautiful, the sun setting through distant clouds, a quarter moon, and twinkling stars made the ride home just as beautiful.

Couldn't have asked for better riding conditions. It's not often that between the ambient temperature and clothing selected to ride in, that I was toasty comfortable with just enough chill in the air to make the bike run it's sweetest......

At The Junction this afternoon:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-02-05 22:57 ]

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey FattRatt,
I came in and out the North Gate entrance, If I would have ran into you I would have recognized your bike from all the pictures. Man what a great day for a ride. If you ever head out near Martinez on highway 4 let me know, I live in a tiny little town called Port Costa, We have a couple of decnt places to have a beer not to mention more than our fair share of curvy roads. From the sounds of it I'm not sure I'm ready to hang with you yet in the high speed sweepers as I am still shaking off the cobwebs from not riding for awhile.
Right now I just make sure I know how to get to wherever everyone is heading and take my time getting there.

PCRider

·
Registered
483 Posts
On 2006-02-05 21:56, PCRider wrote:
I took a ride to the top of Mt. Diablo in Contra Costa County for the first time in about 20 years and it was so clear that from the viewing station at the peak you could see the golden gate bridge to the West and turn around and see snow on the mountains to the East as well as the San Juaqin and Sacramento rivers winding off in the distance.
PCRider
My first motorcycle trip up Mt Diablo on a motorcycle was back in '68. Park Rangers didn't write tickets then and the roads were wicked. Went back up Diablo in '84 and it was pretty much the same, except some poor dude on a BMW boxer laying it down in front of my FXE. Helped him gather up the bike and then continued on up. Haven't been back since. The Olympics in Washington State are knock dead gorgeous as are the Cascades. I still get a kick out of the Sierras and Siskiyous as well. Riding through the mountains can be a religious experience when the traffic is light and the weather good. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts