Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a bike in 2 years. ( College had a way of draining me financially). I sold my 07 Speed Triple a few years back but as you all know you can only go so long without owning another Triumph.

I'm determined to get another bike and since the 2011 Speed Triples are not to my liking, I'm looking more into a Thruxton or Bonne.

Couple Questions:

1. How much work is it to mod a Bonneville into the Thruxton
2. Do you think I would like the riding position of a Thruxton since I rode the Speed Triple for a while ? ( I know I should ride one .... haven't been able to find one to test.)
3. How much difference is there between the later "handle bar" Thruxtons and the Older Clip Ons
4. How significant is the horsepower change between the 1050 speed triple and the 865.
5. Would one of you please sell me yours? (I'm having the hardest time finding a used one. New isn't out of the question but I'd prefer used. As a salesman told me they seem to be made of "unobtanium"

·
Registered
215 Posts
I went from a speed triple to a thruxton. The power isnt even comparable. BUT its just as much fun if not more. Its the feeling that makes it so fun. And if you pm me Id be interested in selling you mine.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
1. Probably not worth it. But bonnies are good and later mag wheel ones will be more Thruxtonlike I think. Just fit ace bars or clip ons.
2. The later EFI ones hasve tube type bars. You could fit S3 type bars to raise the riding pos to a more S3 type position.
3. The Earlier bikes are a bit rawer .Carbs clip ons etc. Depends what you like. Me I like the earlier model. I understand carbs not lap tops! I have an earlier one with a Norman Hyde top yoke conversion and BSA pattern handlebars. I love it to bits.
4.Its a big change. I had a D955i before. About the same power as an S3. the Thruxton is slower and yet wilder. Its vintage style biking with all mod cons as it were. Its the most fun bike I've owned in years. But no where near the fastest.
5.sorry I'm not selling not now not ever!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I haven't had a bike in 2 years. ( College had a way of draining me financially). I sold my 07 Speed Triple a few years back but as you all know you can only go so long without owning another Triumph.

I'm determined to get another bike and since the 2011 Speed Triples are not to my liking, I'm looking more into a Thruxton or Bonne.

Couple Questions:

2. Do you think I would like the riding position of a Thruxton since I rode the Speed Triple for a while ? ( I know I should ride one .... haven't been able to find one to test.)
3. How much difference is there between the later "handle bar" Thruxtons and the Older Clip Ons
4. How significant is the horsepower change between the 1050 speed triple and the 865.
5. Would one of you please sell me yours? (I'm having the hardest time finding a used one. New isn't out of the question but I'd prefer used. As a salesman told me they seem to be made of "unobtanium"
1) Most things are simple, but changing over rearsets can be more expensive so if you get a Thruxton to start with you can spend the money on Suspension and other required mods.

2) Yes you'll probably like the Thruxton position better. Find out where there's a Demo truck and go ride both back to back.

3) Handle bars (to me) make it feel like more of a cruiser

4) The HP difference is HUGE!!! That said it depends on teh type of riding you're doing, you can hustle the Thruxton around a lot more without getting yourself in trouble like you can with a triple.

5) NOPE can't have mine :D But you can find one if you really want one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
1. Just get a Thruxton and mod that. The Bonnie would take a lot more mods to get it where it needs to be.
2. My '04 Thrux (clips ons) is much more of a lean forward ride than a Speed Triple. The Triples I've ridden are much more upright.
3. Carbs vs EFI, handlebars vs clip-ons, paint scheme, UK made vs Asian parts...
4. It's night and day. I had a Sprint ST before the Thrux. A modded Thrux doesnt even come close to a stock 1050 or 955i, but a Thrux has enough power to be its own bike. It makes power very differently too. I find for most aggressive riding (under 100mph) the Thrux is usually running in the 5000-6000 rpm range. It's much closer to the top of the band than a 1050 or 955i would be.
5. Hell no.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts