Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have finally decided. Im going to sell the 883 Sportster so I can buy a Triumph. But its difficult to choose when there so many amazing machines. Street Scrambler, T120 or the Street Triple. Decisions decisions.....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I feel like my Speedmaster is a lot like lay old Sportster 1200. But I prefer the exhaust on each side, and the overall looks a little more on the Speedmaster. It gets more compliments than any bike I’ve owned.

Good luck with the decision, and welcome.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have finally decided. Im going to sell the 883 Sportster so I can buy a Triumph. But its difficult to choose when there so many amazing machines. Street Scrambler, T120 or the Street Triple. Decisions decisions.....
You will miss the SOUND, self-cancelling turn signals, and belt drive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will miss the SOUND, self-cancelling turn signals, and belt drive.
I actually really liked the sound on the street scrambler, precise and throaty, better than the stock pipes on my sporty. Self-cancelling turn signals is a minor perk. I've driven many other bikes without it, can't see myself missing it. But you are right about the belt drive. Makes life so much easier.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I actually really liked the sound on the street scrambler, precise and throaty, better than the stock pipes on my sporty. Self-cancelling turn signals is a minor perk. I've driven many other bikes without it, can't see myself missing it. But you are right about the belt drive. Makes life so much easier.
The Street Scrambler has a 270 degree crank so it sounds a bit like a V Twin with a bit of a lope to its getalong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What a fun choice to have right? Agree with the above...the belt drive is the only thing I really miss from my Harley. Unless you're racing them, can't really see why Triumph doesn't move to belts unless it's the cost. I don't know if you buy a lot of gear but if you thought Harley was high priced on their stuff, Triumph is even more proud of their gear. Haven't bought my first Triumph T-shirt yet because the cheapo in me won't turn loose of $35..:O Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't know if you buy a lot of gear but if you thought Harley was high priced on their stuff, Triumph is even more proud of their gear.

Triumph gear pricing high for sure but HD parts pricing looks like a deal compared to Triumph parts pricing. Don't fall down or break anything and you'll love a Triumph.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I started out on this site with the intent of never saying anything negative about Triumph but am thinking a bit more critically lately.

I have found that owning only one bike becomes boring after about five years and if that is your situation it would be refreshing to buy a Triumph (Bonneville?) for relief but:

Consider available dealer support both local and during travel. Triumph these days seems to be on a downhill trend regarding dealer count seemingly with no concern from the company. I see comments on this site about Triumph imposing stringent new requirements on dealers. We just lost our one and only Triumph dealer here in SE Wisconsin but there are at five HD dealers within a half hour of my house plus three more within an hour.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a fun choice to have right? Agree with the above...the belt drive is the only thing I really miss from my Harley. Unless you're racing them, can't really see why Triumph doesn't move to belts unless it's the cost. I don't know if you buy a lot of gear but if you thought Harley was high priced on their stuff, Triumph is even more proud of their gear. Haven't bought my first Triumph T-shirt yet because the cheapo in me won't turn loose of $35..:O Welcome to the family!
I have never bought any branded gear and I never will. I cringe every time I see someone with a Harley jacket. What are you trying to tell people dude? That the marketing people got to you? Oofff I cringe just thinking about it. Someone pass me a pillow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I feel like my Speedmaster is a lot like lay old Sportster 1200. But I prefer the exhaust on each side, and the overall looks a little more on the Speedmaster. It gets more compliments than any bike I’ve owned.

Good luck with the decision, and welcome.
The Speedmaster is awsome. I haven't driven it but just sat on it at the dealer. The bars are a bit too far back for my choice, but that can probably be fixed. Other then that a very nice bike. I'm just trying to steer away from the cruiser segment for a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have found that owning only one bike becomes boring after about five years and if that is your situation it would be refreshing to buy a Triumph (Bonneville?) for relief but:
That's actually my goal. To buy a bike that will last me many years. Can't afford more than one. So you think the T120 will be the best choice in that matter?

·
Registered
995 Posts
That's actually my goal. To buy a bike that will last me many years. Can't afford more than one. So you think the T120 will be the best choice in that matter?
Faced with that same choice I opted to find one of the last of the air cooled T100s. I preferred the relative simplicity and handling of the 19" front wheel Bonneys.

The new water cooled T's had an unproved engine, far too many electronics (and the Brits are great at that), not owner friendly (need to pay the dealer to turn off the "service" light", higher priced, and air is free and it don't leak.

Just my opinion... that's why there's 31 flavors.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My T100 with 865cc, although far from being the fastest and quickest bike is enormously more powerful than my 883 Sportster. It is quite a tickle to go from the HD to the Triumph. I like the HD and the Triumph pretty much equally as the HD has other endearing qualities to offset the lack of acceleration. Constant speed highway cruising can be done at any legal speed and more with either bike. A T120 will be even faster and quicker than a T100. I have chain drive on both bikes and prefer that over a belt as ratios can be easily changed. I have done just that. For mostly long distance travel I can envision that a belt would be better to eliminate the chain lubing chore.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts