Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to convert my '05 Bonnie into more of a cafe racer. My first priority in this process was adding some handlebars that really mimic the look of a clip-on....something low like this:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e302/patthebullet/Triumph Related/Triumph-AceBars.jpg

Questions are:
How do I know in advance if I can use the existing cables?
Also, would it just be awkward to drop the bars and leave the rearsets where they are? Seems like if I drop the bars I need to pull the rearsets back. Please feel free to recommend any bar/rearsets that you feel would work for what I'm going for.

Thanks for your comments!

- Bullet

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am in the process of doing the same.

The Ace bars are comfy and will work with the stock foot pegs, but eventually the rear sets would be the way to go.

I have the LSL rear sets sitting at home and I can’t wait to get back in a week to install them.

The OEM cables will work just fine, however I ran the throttle cables below the head light so the do not touch anything. Personal choice. Next will be the Thrux style head light brackets and the gauges lowered. Then the black fenders are going to be painted Scarlet Red to match the tank.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm doing the same thing to mine. I currently have Norman Hyde M Bars installed, but I've just bought some LSL clipons and am switching to those instead. I am lowering my stock Bonneville headlight brackets and getting a D9 bracket once everything is in place to lower my gauges as low as possible. Also just installed LSL rearsets and am very happy with them. Not a huge change, but with the style bars/clipons you and I are going for, they really do make it more comfortable.

P.S. Selling my M Bars if you're interested. They can get a pretty radical position depending on how you set them, but clipons are that much more radical and low.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OEM cables will work just fine, however I ran the throttle cables below the head light so the do not touch anything. Personal choice.
Dale, first off, your bike looks great. In regards to running your cables below the headlight - does that give you more slack, or was that an aesthetic decision? The main issue I've been hearing was due to the angle of the bars (like yours), clutch cables can snap. Have you had any similar problems?

Also, where did you get your Ace bars from? I need them! Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
40 Posts
bullet,

If you pick up some ace bars I recommend you go with the Norman Hyde plug end bars. That way you can use the Jenks Bolts threaded bar end weights... they'll eliminate the vibration.
NB or Bella sells the the bars.

cheers!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I ran the throttle cables under the headlight as this kept them from touching the mirror stalk. Not that it is a big deal or that the cable would ware through, but I prefer to have all cable runs as smooth as possible. I adjust all my throttle cables so there is absolutely zero play (a pet peeve of mine) so the cable run has to be perfect.

Same with the clutch cable. I ran it outside of the OEM cable/wiring retainer and am certain no problems will develop with the cable. As a side note….The clutch cable had to be replaced as it was about to break; up at the clutch lever, where the soldered barrel attaches to the cable. I noticed half the strands were severed and on close examination, found that pulling in the clutch, the cable was rubbing on the clutch lever surface in that area. A bit of dermal grinding and a new $40 (yicks) cable fixed that.

As for bar-end mirrors…………….we lane split here in SoCal so the bar end mirrors stick out too far for my liking; thus the OEM are a acceptable compromise. I don’t have any bar end weights in these bars and don’t think that they are needed, as no vibration at all, and the mirrors are crystal clear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts