Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out fiddling for a couple of hours. I am still yet to get my first shim out. I think the cams are coming out..............

I do have a question though. Once I've pulled the shim, do I have to put it back in after I mic it? I need to work out what size shims I need based on what I pulled, SO can I just leave it out until I get the correct size from the dealer? OR do I have to put it back in just so I can take it out again once i get the right one?

What a pain in the arse...............

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Depends on how you want to work..? once your cams are out getting to the shims is easy, I pop them out measure make a note against a diagram them pop them back in, that way I don't get any mixed up, then I can work out the shims I need, get them, pop out the old, in with the new, cams in, double check clearances....and bob is indeed your aunts sister ;-)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,
You don't have to mic the shims as their size is marked on the bottom. The shims should come out easily with a small precision screwdriver providing your holding tool is lining up. If you are pulling the shims without removing the cams you must replace the shim before rotating the cam.

Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts