Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate posted this on the Speed Triple forum. I am sure one of you lot can suggest a good place to start the full forensic investigation...............

Changed the oil in the '95 Speed Triple yesterday and went for a blart today. Used Triumph 4T full synth. All day felt like I was running out of gears, in 5th running 7500 -8000 rpm @ 80mph. Could last shop oil change have been not full synth and with new oil in this has caused slippage etc. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
575 Posts
You might start with checking condition of the clutch fluid & check the pushrod/master cylinder.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
8000rpm @ 80mph? Definitely the clutch slipping I would say and a strange coincidence that full synth oil was just put in. Maybe the clutch was on the way out and new oil has helped it on its way?

Buckwheat might be on to something with the slave cylinder pushrod, maybe its sticking and not allowing the clutch to fully engage, easy to check too...

Cheers,

Roden

·
Registered
167 Posts
Clutch is certainly slipping if your only doing that speed at those revs in top gear.

Best thing to do is to drain off your current oil and put to one side for later as it`s next to new and can go back into the bike. Then go out and get some engine flushing oil and stick it into the engine upto the correct oil level and take the bike out for at least a 30 mile run and anything upto 100 miles as for this short period then it won`t do your engine any harm.

If the bike starts to pull better (reduced slip) within this time then you`ll know it was the oil that was at fault and the flushing oil has done it`s job.

If the problem remains the same then it`s time to get the clutch casing off and to check the wear on friction plates. To be honest if your going to be taking them out anyway then just replace them anyway as that way you`ll know they`ve been done and they`re ok.

Obviously the flushing oil will need to be drained back out of the bike, a new oil filter fitted and your oil one will hopefully be full of anything nasty that`s been lurking about in your engine and then refill with whatever oil your wanting to use. If your clutch slip was cured by the flushing oil alone then i`d personally put in new oil as the stuff that was drained could well be contaminated and then you`d be back to square one.

Cheers, Matt

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I doubt that it's the oil. The only oils that would mess up a clutch are the "energy conserving" oils and they are 10w/30 and "lighter" and are automotive oils. It seems doubtful that a bike shop would install automotive oil in a motorcycle. The oil being switched to synthetic from non-synthetic is immaterial.

It's probably time to tear into it. If a slipping clutch was ridden "all day" at rpms up to 8,000 then the plates are most likely toast. I also wouldn't save the oil, it has been overheated along with the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts