Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was enjoying my morning commute and looking forward to the 70 degree commute home later. I pulled into a parking lot to put on my sunglasses like I do every day.

Must not have been paying attention and next thing I know I dropped the bike making a slow u-turn.

There are a lot of surface scratches on the lower right fairing. Some of them came off with spit so I am hoping I can get most of them off when I get home.

The rear brake pedal is bent up slightly. It is still usable but awkward. My question is can I gently bend this back down without snapping it off.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Conventional wisdom says aluminum will crack rather than bending back to where it was. Sometimes you can prove the CW wrong, but don't count on it...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
As Kit says, it's probably going to snap before it gets back to how it was.

You can try and be really gentle (how would you gauge that??) and if that is all that does break, you got off lightly :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bent mine very early in my Sprint life and used a large crescent wrench to straighten out the foot pad with no ill effects. You do not want to try and do this too many times though. Just go slow and see if it starts to show signs of cracking and getting ready to snap off.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Sorry to hear NTMT. I have done the same. You only do it once :(

FWIW I'd try to bend/repair it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If it's just tweaked a bit, it will bend back. Don't worry about being too gentle - takes a lot of force. I covered it with a rag to prevent (additional) scratches and used a very large pair of pliers.

You can guess why I know this...:eek:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sorry to hear about the off, bummer.

You can bend cast aluminum and retain its strength with out much hassle.

The easiest way I've found to do it is with an oxy/acetalene torch if you have one available, which I do from my dad. Heat it up and take some insulated pliers and gently pull the part to get it to the shape needed. use patience as you pretty much need to get the alum red hot. Then quickly dunk it into a bucket of water and let it cool.

Heres a pic of what I did

Start -

What I finished with -

It is as strong as when it started and works perfect. Not sure if a propane torch would work but you can give it a try.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the delay getting back.

On top of looking like a fool with a bright blue bike laying on top of me, my motherboard crashed last week.

I wrapped a rag around the pedal and used a pair of vise grips and bent it back. It is pretty much back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts